Unfiltered Story #122308

, , , | Unfiltered | October 3, 2018

A customer brings in a stack of pants to be dry cleaned.

Me: *after putting his phone number/name into the computer* And how many pants have you got here?

Customer: Nine!

Me: *inputs the number of pants, trusting his count* Your total is $[total]!

Customer: *pays and takes his receipt* Oh, and can you hem this pair *points at a pair with the bottom folded up* up three inches?

Of course, his transaction is over now and I’d have to ring him up for the hem. I decided to just do the hem, and not charge this once since I get to keep 25% of his total (the other 75% goes to the company that does the cleaning) and it was a large order. I didn’t say I was doing the hem for free or anything, just that it would be done and he could pick up in one week.

As I am tagging his items, it turns out that there are only 8 pairs. I figure that he forgot a pair at home or miscounted… but also since I hadn’t charged for the hem, and had technically overcharged for the cleaning (by almost the same amount… hems are $10 and cleaning is $9.50 in this area) that it was a wash and everything was even anyway.

He picks up on the morning he is due and leaves without incident, only to come back a few hours later, irate.

Customer: You forgot to give me one of my pants! I brought 9 and you only gave back 8!

Me: Oh, actually sir, when I was tagging them, it turns out there were only 8 there. I had one tag left over, so I put it on the pair that you wanted hemmed. I forgot to charge you for the hem though, so everything evened out in the end! *smiles*

Customer: NO! I brought you NINE PAIRS!

Me: *goes back and forth with him a couple of times, with him insisting that he gave me 9* Sir, I have absolutely no reason to lie to you. There were only 8 pairs in the stack you left with me.

Customer: BUT YOU CHARGED ME FOR NINE!!

Me: Yes, because I believed your count was accurate, but as I said before, there were only 8, but since I forgot to charge you for the hem, everything evened out and it was less paperwork to just leave it as it was instead of reringing everything after you had left when I discovered the error.

Customer: *slaps his arm* It was green like this shirt! I got them to match this shirt!!!

Me: I am terribly sorry, but if there is a pair of green pants, they didn’t make it into the stack that you brought with you. Perhaps they were forgotten at  home or something, but I assure you, they were not brought in here.

Customer: *as he storms out* THIS IS HOW YOU DO BUSINESS?! UNREAL!!!!

I am the only person who works here. I know they were never here. I know that he only brought 8 pairs. I am 100% sure of this.

1 Thumbs
41
VOTES
style="float: left; color: white;">NEXT STORY »
style="float: left; color: white;">NEXT STORY »