Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #119041

, | Unfiltered | August 26, 2018

(This took place a few years ago when I worked at a grocery store. I’m a bisexual female who was wearing a rainbow wristband. I was checking out a customer I had sometimes seen around the store. The customer had been friendly enough to me up until this point.)
Customer: (points at my wristband) You’re one of those queer f******!
(Occasionally I deal with things like this, so I try to keep my cool.)
Me: I prefer the term bisexual, ma’am.
Customer: The Lord says you’ll burn in Hell! He condemns those who sleep with the same gender!
(I sigh and endure this abuse for a bit longer because she had unfortunately purchase A LOT of items. Soon I decide to ask her to stop after a particularly abusive comment.)
Me: Look, ma’am, you can have the views you want on homosexuality, but please realize that abusing a cashier is not an appropriate response, especially in front of children.
Customer (shouting): I will not do anything you tell me! God hates queers, and therefore so do I!
(At this point, a girl who couldn’t have been older than fourteen walks up to the woman who was ranting at me.)
Girl: Hi.
Customer (coldly): Hello.
(The customer then continues yelling at me.)
Girl: You’re not being very nice to the cashier. She never did anything to you. All she was doing was checking out your items.
(At this point, I see the girl’s mom looking surprised and slightly pale.)
Customer: So? God hates people like her.
Girl: That’s not true. I’ve seen you at church, ma’am, and I recall the pastors teaching us that God loves everyone. And He makes everyone, right? Doesn’t that mean that he made her different?
(The customer seems about ready to give up, but has something else to say.)
Customer: It literally says in the Bible that he condemns homosexuality, so why don’t you go back to being a good Christian girl and love the Lord like everyone else?
Girl (visibly getting tired of this): You know, I seem to recall that the Bible said it’s okay to own slaves and that women were the property of men. Please step out of your homophobic bubble and take a look at modern American society.
(The customer goes magenta in the face and leaves, sputtering, with her groceries.)
Me (to the girl’s mother): You have raised an extraordinary daughter.
Mother: Don’t I know it!
(I never see the homophobic customer again, but I see the girl and her mother several times at the store while I worked there and gave them half off their purchase each time.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!