Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #113068

, , , | Unfiltered | May 28, 2018

This is a small store; most people come in to pick up a couple quick items, and will often be in the door and at the checkout all in less than a minute. I had just come up to the register where three customers had lined up all at once: a white girl (WG), a black woman (BW), and an older white woman (WW) in order.

The black woman was looking like she thought I was doing something wrong by not being behind the counter and ready to go already, although as most customers don’t seem to realize (as they yell “Helloo” at the top of their lungs without even giving me a second to get to them) I am required to leave the register to straighten anytime no one is in line.

I proceed to help the white girl, and scan a bottle of wine first, which brings up the age prompt, although I don’t get further than that.

WG: Oh I couldn’t find any melatonin I guess you guys don’t carry it?

ME: Yes, we do. It is with the vitamins and supplements *gesturing towards
corner where they are located*

WG: Oh really…*looks hesitant, then runs off suddenly*

ME: *Glancing at the next customer* Um.. well.

I start to scan the next next item, but stop. I realize I can actually take the next person since I never entered a birth date for the wine,

BW: *Indignant look* Um…

ME: *Motioning her forward* I can just take you while she does that.

BW: That’s right. I’m not waiting!

Wanting to explain why I might have waited so she wouldn’t think I just didn’t care –

ME: Oh well it’s just that if I had scanned an item in I would have had to wait
then.

BW: Um, no you would have voided it.

(All of this while I’m ringing her up, of course)

ME: Well, I can’t actually void items.

BW: (she gives me a dirty look) Why, you need a manager?

ME: Yes, someone with a key would have to come up.

BW: (looking nastily at me) YEAH. And then they would have VOIDED it!

She doesn’t seem to realize that calling up the MOD would have taken longer than just waiting for WG to retrieve an item most likely. I don’t say anything.

BW: I also need a pack of *** cigarettes *suddenly looking right into my eyes* and I don’t want you to disagree with me again (in a very challenging tone).

ME: (I’m very taken aback) Oh….I…I’m sorry if you are upse-

BW: *Cutting me off* Don’t even try to talk back! I’m going to talk to a manager
about you, how you talk to customers! I know C*** personally, known her for
years! I’m gonna call her up.

ME: *Knowing I should have just gone silent as I’m talking* Well, C*** hasn’t
worked here for years, she’s the manager of another store now.
The transaction is completed by this point.

BW: OH, you’re still talking huh? Who’s the manager, what’s her name then?

ME: *Starting to feel anger* The manager’s name is S***.

BW: Yeah S***! That’s who I meant. We’re friends, I’ve known her for 20 yrs.

I’m gonna have to call her up and have a talk with her about you.

ME: *Losing my temper, facing away so she won’t see my furious look*
You can do whatever you want.

My voice was shaking in anger by then, and my hands.

BW: You STILL talking back! Yeah, I’m gonna tell S*** all about you. You might
not even have a job when I get through!

ME: *Turning back around* (she’s already halfway out the door) YEAH right!

I rang up the WG and WW who had just appeared again. Turns out WW had gone off to help WG who was looking in the medicines, not vitamins despite my pointing her in a clearly different direction. It took several more customers before my anger and my nerves had calmed down.

What happened to me? My manager came by later on (it was her day off) to shop and mentioned getting a complaint about me through facebook. She just laughed about it.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!