Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #108249

, , , | Unfiltered | April 5, 2018

(Just to set some context, I work in a large coffee chain in the north of England, and until this point we had never had an American come in the store. This middle aged American woman comes in with one of our loyalty cards which must be reloaded and the money must be used in order to get your points. Before I can even greet her, she approaches the till, holds up her card and says:)

Customer: With this card, I am single-handedly keeping this store afloat.

Me: (slightly stunned at this point) Uh… Okay. What can I get for you today?

Customer: Well first of all you can tell me how much is on my card.

Me: (swipes card to check balance) *laughing* There’s actually nothing on your card at the moment…

Customer: (looking a bit sheepish) Oh… Okay. Well can I put two hundred dollars on it?

Me: (I’ve never ever reloaded that much money onto a card before.) “Well we only deal in pound sterling here. So I can put two hundred pounds on? But that won’t be the same amount as dollars I’m afraid.

(The lady looks shocked as if the difference between pounds and dollars had never occurred to her before.)

Customer: But you’re an American company!! Why can’t you just put it on in dollars?

Me: No, we can only reload in pounds, we are in Britain.

(Eventually the customer agrees to load her card with a significantly smaller amount of money in pounds, and then all she buys is a small coffee which is £2.50.)

Me: I thought you wanted a lot more money than that going on?

Customer: “YOU FREAKIN’ CORPORATE COMPANIES! ALWAYS TRYING TO SQUEEZE MORE MONEY OUT OF ME! YOURE ALL THIEVES! *grabs tiny coffee and leaves.*

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!