Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #102728

| Unfiltered | January 4, 2018

(I come into work the day after someone important to me dies. I’m quite the little actress, if I do say so myself, and put on my super-friendly happy customer service face. No one suspects a thing. But I slip up, get distracted and make a stupid but easy-to-fix mistake. I apologize to my manager for becoming distracted and think that will be the end of it. Instead…)

Manager: “Why are you so distracted?”

(She’s not a kind person and I really don’t want to go into it with her so I stay silent.)

Manager: *now angry* “Why are you distracted?”

(I decide that telling her might be the only way to get her off my back but I can’t speak. My throat has closed as I fight back sobs.)

Manager: “I asked you a question. Why are you distracted?”

Me: *choking* “Someone I care about died yesterday.”

Manager: “Life goes on. Deal with it. You’re not allowed to talk about that here. This is a workplace.”

(I nod silently. She glares at me for a moment before stomping off. Later the business of work has helped take my mind off of personal issues and I’m going about my work smiling to customers, the face of customer service. My manager approaches me as I’m cleaning.)

Manager: *tauntingly* “Hi, [My Name]. How’re you, [My Name]? You look sad, [My Name]. Why’re you so sad, [My Name]?

(I don’t respond, keeping my eyes on my work.)

Manager: *nudging me repeatedly on the shoulder* “You look sad. Why are you sad? Why are you sad?”

(She keeps pestering me until it becomes clear that she’s not getting a rise out of me.)

Manager: “Yeah. You’re not allowed to talk about that.”

(I should have said “I’m not, [manager]. You are.”)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!