Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

10 Scams We’re Not Too Stupid To Fall For

| Right | April 11, 2016
#1. Changing the price label.

Cashiers work long and hard hours, in an unforgiving environment, completing one monotonous task after another, so you would be forgiven for expecting them not to notice if you play the old switcheroo with some price labels. But think again; it doesn’t take a genius to realize that a $50 bottle of liquor would not be mislabeled as $0.99 cheese-balls in any universe. The moment the cashier spots this (and they will), they are fully within their rights to play with you like the fool that you are, as seen in this beautiful example.

 

#2. I know/am related to the manager.

“The manager is my father” said the 90 lb white girl, about to discover that the manager is a 300 lb, bodybuilding African-American. Another prime example can be found here.

#3. I left my coupon at home.

This is scam-talk for “the coupon never existed but if I cause a scene and demand that my ‘95% off anything I want’ voucher is real then I should be able to get what I want.” Sorry, but no. All coupons need to be scanned these days, and with coupons now being eligible on smartphones via emails and apps, there really is no excuse. Smart up, or get out. Example found here!

#4. Refunding something you haven’t even bought.

Scammer walks into a large enough store, grabs an item from the shelf, and promptly takes it to the counter to get a ‘refund.’ At this point all logic within the scammers plans breaks down, as they dodge questions such as where is the receipt, where is the box you bought it in, and why store credit isn’t acceptable. Uncalled for hostility to these questions is another dead giveaway that something isn’t quite right.

 

#5. Lying to get a special discount.

Let us tell you this now guys; in places where they offer special discounts to military, EMTS, police, etc. The staff are trained to KNOW if you are military, an EMT, police, etc. Walking up to the counter and saying “Hi, I’m in the military with no way to prove it!” is about as convincing as an endorsement for Trump. Also, trying to come up with a deliberate excuse as to why the food is not up to your standards and therefore must be given free is another eye-rolling slice from the Obvious Pie, and we finished serving that at breakfast… You can see what we mean from these stories here and here.

#6. Giving the wrong delivery address to get free food.

“Yeah, I live at blah street, in the towny area of town. Get the pizza to me in half an hour or it’s free.” This might have worked in days of old, dear scammer, but in the age of Google Maps and online ordering, you really have no excuse for not providing the correct address. We will always find you, and we will always make you pay, as you can see here.

#7. You didn’t give me the correct change!

The trick of giving the cashier a twenty but demanding it was a fifty after the drawer has already closed has been around as long as there have been cashiers, and the solution is always the same. No one will just ‘give’ you the difference of your non-existent short-change, but will instead close the checkout, count every penny, and will let you know if there is any discrepancy. Of course, there won’t be, because the cashier is good at their job and you’re a lying sack of sh*t, but please, continue to keep trying this most ancient of scams every time you feel worthless. Of course, another example can be found here!

#8. Returning something that is obviously used.

“It’s almost brand new, I swear!” says the man returning the TV with a cracked screen and missing remote control, hoping for a refund. Just because TVs are smart now, doesn’t mean their owners are, sadly. Examples here and here!

#9. Other store will do it cheaper!

The answer to this one is simple: if this mythical store that sells all its items at a loss truly does exist, then please JUST GO THERE. We, on the other hand, will remain here, where economics makes sense, as seen in this example.

#10. Trying to buy discounted items you already over-ordered:

The scammer thinks they’re very clever, in ordering 100 items of something, then not bothering to collect them. The store will then give up trying to off-load all the goods that they can’t sell, and try to offload them for a discount, which is when the scammer swoops in, enacting the most important part of what was their plan all along. Sometimes though, as can be seen in this supremely satisfying example, the employees can fight back

Like this list? Survived or witnessed a scam yourself? Share it with your friends!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!