Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Your Brain Runneth Over

, , , | Right | June 4, 2012

(I work on the Rideau Canal, a lock system first built just after the war of 1812. In addition to operating the locks, we sell passes and talk about the history and operation of the system. One particularly busy day, a tourist approaches me as we are filling the lock chamber.)

Tourist: “So, where does all this water come from?”

Me: “It flows down from Upper Rideau Lake, hence the name of the system.”

Tourist: “So, it fills all the locks?”

Me: “That’s right.”

Tourist: “But what about when you run out?”

Me: “…Excuse me?”

Tourist: “Well, look at all that water! That has to be a thousand gallons in this basin alone. You could use up to a million in a day. That’s just wasteful, and the lake will eventually run out!”

(At this point, 23 boats are waiting to go through, and I don’t have time to explain the water cycle, so I just say the first thing I thought up.)

Me: “Actually, sir, we have giant buckets at both ends to catch all the water and put it back into the lake every night.”

Tourist: “Oh, I see! That’s very good of you guys to think of the environment!” *wanders off happily*

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!