Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Wireless, Clueless & Hopeless, Part 10

| Right | September 13, 2012

Caller: “Somebody is hacking into my modem.”

Me: “Hacking into your modem?”

Caller: “Yes, they’re hacking into my modem.”

Me: “Why do you think somebody is hacking into your modem?”

Caller: “Because every time they do it, the link light blinks. LOOK! They’re doing it now. Can you see?”

Me: “No, ma’am. I can’t see what your modem is doing, but I assure you no one can hack into your modem. The link light flashes to let you know information is being transmitted from your modem to your router or computer. Now, it is possible for someone to hack into your computer. If you’d like to protect your computer, you can download the free antivirus provided with your internet service.”

Caller: “No, no, no. I can’t do that. I’ve tried it before.”

Me: “Why can’t you?”

Caller: “Because every time I try to download antivirus, somebody tries to hack into my computer. So, I have to hurry and unplug it before they can!”

(This indeed turns out to be true, as I find the following note on her account from a previous call: “Cx states when she tries to download antivirus, a box comes up on her screen saying ‘Downloading Norton’. Cx unplugs her computer quickly because someone is trying to download something on her computer so they can hack into it faster. Not sure what to do!”)

 

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!