Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

When Common Sense Goes Naval Gazing

, , , , | Right | May 22, 2010

(I serve on a Canadian Naval vessel. While on an exercise, our ship comes alongside in New York and offers tours to any civilians who wish to see the ship. I am on duty when a group of Americans comes on board for a tour. At the end of the tour, one gentleman comes up to me.)

Tourist: “Excuse me, when does the ship leave?”

Me: “We’re in port for another two days before we head back to sea, sir.”

Tourist: “But we’re here today. Can’t we take the tour now?”

Me: “I beg your pardon, sir? Didn’t you just take the tour?”

Tourist: “We saw the ship, but when do we go to [Town the ship is named after]?”

Me: “Oh, I’m sorry, sir, but the tours are of the ship only.”

Tourist: “But when do you sail to [Town]?”

Me: “We actually can’t, sir, because that town isn’t on the ocean.”

Tourist: “Well, that’s stupid! How are we supposed to sail there? Never mind, where is the ship going next, then, and when do we have to be here?”

Me: “Well, if you’d like to watch us leave, we will be shoving off around 10 o’clock on Sunday, sir.”

Tourist: “And where are we going then?”

Me: “Well, I can’t disclose where the ship is sailing next due to operational security, sir.”

Tourist: “Then how are we supposed to get back?”

(Thankfully at this point the man’s wife jumps in.)

Tourist’s Wife: “This isn’t a cruise, you moron! We just came to see the ship!”

Tourist: *to me* “Well, why didn’t you say that? Are you Canadians all stupid or something? No wonder we beat the s*** out of you in the war! If you didn’t surrender to everyone that waved a gun at you, you probably wouldn’t be so stupid!”

(The tourist storms off the ship.)

Tourist’s Wife: “I… um… yeah. May I have one of those free hats, please?”


This story is part of our Clueless Tourists roundup!

Want to read the next story? Click here!

Want to read the roundup? Click here!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!