Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

What Goes Around Comes Around

, , , , | Right | August 8, 2008

Me: “Reference Desk, how may I help you?”

Caller: “I have been waiting for a book for months, and it’s overdue.”

Me: “Okay, I can put it on hold for you and that will trigger our system to call the person who has it out.”

Caller: “I can’t believe that you let people do this. It’s so rude! Don’t people understand that maybe someone else might be waiting to read that book?”

Me: “Ma’am, I understand. Could you please tell me your name and the title of the book?”

Caller: *tells me her name and the book title*

(I type in her name, click “Place Hold” and enter the title. An error message pops up: “Cannot place hold. This title is already checked out to this patron.”)

Me: “Ma’am… there seems to be a problem. I can’t place the book on hold for you because you are the one who has it checked out.”

Caller: “What? WHAT?! That is impossible! How could that be? I never checked that book out!”

Me: “Well, it’s out on your card, and it’s quite overdue. I’m going to have to ask you to return it because there are people waiting to read it.”


This story is part of our Libraries roundup!

Read the next Libraries roundup story!

Read the Libraries roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!