Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Wants To Have Her Cake And Eat It

| Right | July 6, 2015

(I work as a cake decorator. A woman and her seven-year-old daughter come into the store to order a birthday cake for the girl. The mother argues with her daughter over which cake to get, consents to let the girl have the cake she wants, places the order, then returns a couple days later with her daughter to pick up her order.)

Customer: “This isn’t the cake I ordered.”

(I proceed to go over the order form with her. We have a policy of reading back each order when it is placed to make sure we have all the information, and the customer had previously confirmed that the order was accurate. As I am the one who took the order, I know for a fact that I did this.)

Me: “According to your order form you ordered [cake decoration pack] in white buttercream, with “Happy Birthday [Daughter].”

Customer: “No, I ordered [other decoration pack], not this one! I want this cake for free since you messed up on it!”

Daughter: “Mom, we ordered this one, because this is the one I wanted!”

Customer: “No, I didn’t want this one. I wanted the other one!”

(I show the little girl her cake.)

Me: “Is this what you wanted your cake to look like?”

Daughter: “Yes! It’s perfect!”

Me: “Okay, here you go! You have a wonderful birthday!”

(I handed the cake to the girl, who was clearly impressed by the job we did. The mother glared at me and my coworkers before conceding victory to her daughter, then left to pay for the cake.)


This story is part of our Cake roundup!

Read the next Cake roundup story!

Read the Cake roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!