Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Wallet Walkabout

| Right | September 12, 2014

(I work in a store with four departments, each with their own checkout counter. A woman approaches my counter and asks to make a payment on a layby. I ask if there is anything else she needs. I have a funny feeling about her.)

Customer: “No, just this. I’ll be leaving now.”

(I watch her leave, then get to a point and turn into a tight aisle of fabric which is better accessed from the other side. I walk up to her.)

Me: “Is there anything else I can help you with today?”

Customer: *eyes wide with shock* “I, umm, oh, I don’t know what it is… I haven’t touched it.” *quickly leaves*

(I look down to find a ladies wallet in the rolls of fabric. I take it to my counter and page for the owner a couple of times. I then get stuck serving customers for 10 minutes before I take it over to the office. I pass by the fabric counter as I do.)

Me: *to a coworker* “Is there anyone in the office? I have found a wallet.”

Coworker: “Where did you find that? We’ve been looking for it. I was serving a customer who put it on the counter, went to pay, and it was gone.”

Me: “Really?”

Coworker: “Yes, and the woman who was behind her in the line left suddenly as we noticed. We both asked where she was going and I stopped her to ask if she had seen the wallet. She told me no. Then I watched as she went around the back of your department and you served her. I just figured she had forgotten something.”

Me: “I had a funny feeling so followed her. She pretty much led me to where the wallet was hidden. *takes coworker to the spot*

Coworker: “This is right where I stopped her. She must have thrown it into the fabric, the b****!”

(We had no real proof but the woman was lucky that we didn’t report it as her layby contained her name and address. The other customer was so happy to have the wallet returned intact!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!