Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Waiting For The Bad Customer That Never Comes

| Right | August 14, 2014

(I’m getting food at a rather well-known fast-food joint that specializes in American-Chinese cuisine. I’ve just finished placing a large order.)

Cashier: “The [dish] is out right now. Would you like something else, or would you like to wait? It’ll be about 10 minutes to make another batch.”

Me: “I’m fine with waiting. Thank you.”

Cashier: “Okay, that’ll be [total]. Can I have your name so I can call you when it’s all ready?”

(I give her my name, pay, and take a step back to wait. About three minutes pass and I notice her walking out to me with a cup.)

Cashier: “Sir, I’m sorry it’s taking so long. Would you like a complimentary drink?”

Me: “Uh… sure, I guess. It’s really no problem though. Only 10 minutes, right?”

Cashier: “Thank you for being so understanding!”

(She hands me the cup and goes back to serving other customers. Another three minutes pass and I notice one of her coworkers is waving me over to the counter.)

Coworker: “We’re really sorry for the wait, sir. Would you like a complimentary order of egg rolls for your trouble?”

Me: “Thank you for the offer, but no. Seriously, I’m really fine with the wait. It’s no problem.”

Coworker: “Okay, then. Just let us know if there’s anything we can do for you.”

(I step back from the counter and wait a few more minutes until the cashier calls my name.)

Cashier: “Here you are, sir! I’m so sorry for the delay, I tossed in a few orders of egg rolls and rangoon because it took so long.”

Me: “Really, that’s very nice, but you didn’t have to do that. You were up-front with the wait time and it took almost exactly what you told me. You really don’t owe me any free food or even the drink.”

(Suddenly it all clicks.)

Me: “People still freak out when they have to wait even after you tell them how long it’s going to be, don’t they?”

Cashier: “You have no idea. Have a great day!”


This story was included in our Chinese Restaurant Roundup.

Click here to read the next story!

Click here to go to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!