Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Upgrade Degrade

| Right | August 20, 2014

(I work at a web hosting company where we have several levels of packages. Customer is currently on a server with hundreds of others and is trying to set up an account with a username that is already taken.)

Customer: “I can’t use this username; it says it’s already in use.”

Me: “Let me take a look and see what’s going on.”

(I check. Sure enough, someone else on the server is using the username already.)

Me: “I do apologize, but there is someone on the server already using that username. You will have to use another.”

Customer: “I guess I’ll just have to upgrade to a dedicated server.”

(A dedicated is a server with no other users, but is also 10 times the price.)

Me: “You don’t have to upgrade. Simply use another username. You can always just add a 1 to the end of it, that will work.”

Customer: “No, thanks. I knew I’d have to upgrade eventually.”

Me: “No problem. Was there anything else I could do for you today?”

Customer: “Let me talk to your manager. I can’t believe you’re making me upgrade! This is ridiculous!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!