Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Un-Sue-table Behavior

, , , | Right | January 14, 2013

(The fast food restaurant I work in has two areas. One is a large area where you order food at the counter, and it contains several tables. The second is only a few feet below the first and is accessed by walking down two stairs. At this time of day, we have a section roped off since the restaurant is nearly empty. Two women walk up to the counter: a middle-aged woman and an elderly woman who appears to be her mother.)

Middle-aged Customer: “Hi, we’d like to order two breakfast meals, please.”

(As I take her order, I notice the elderly customer glancing behind her at the roped-off stairwell. She then starts to take two steps backward toward the stairs.)

Me: “Ma’am, please watch your step. There is a small set of stairs behind you.”

(The elderly customer glances behind her again and then takes another few steps backward.)

Me: *repeating* “Ma’am, there is a set of stairs behind you. It is roped off, but please be careful because I don’t want you to fall or get hurt.”

(The elderly customer continues to step backward, but before I can stop her, she dramatically falls backward over the steps.)

Elderly Customer: “I just fell over your stairs! They weren’t properly secured! I think I hurt myself. I’m going to sue you personally, and this restaurant!”

Middle-Aged Customer: *rolling eyes and not even turning around* “Mother, get up off the floor and come over here and get your breakfast. You aren’t hurt and you’re not suing anyone.” *to me* “Just ignore her. She tries these stunts everywhere she goes. Thankfully, I drove here and not her. This is how she lost her driver’s license, as well!”


This story is part of our Backward roundup!

Read the next Backward roundup story!

Read the Backward roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!