Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Problem Can’t Get Licked

, , , | Right | October 28, 2012

(We are doing an adoption event at a retailer in conjunction with four other animal rescue/shelter groups. Each group is in a large tent with dogs that are up for adoption in crates. A lady approaches with two kids: a boy about 6 and a girl about 9.)

Woman: “Oh, she is so cute!” *motioning towards a two-year-old Shepherd mix*

Me: “Yes, she is a great dog, and she is great with kids. Would you like me to take her out so you can see how she acts around your children?”

Woman: “Yes, that would be great!”

(I take the dog out of her crate and put her on a leash. The kids are both petting her and the dog is behaving very well.)

Woman: “Oh… that dog doesn’t lick, does she?”

Me: “Of course she does. All dogs lick.”

Woman: “Oh, you will have to put her back, then. My daughter is allergic to dog saliva. We need a dog that doesn’t lick.”

Me: “Ma’am, all dogs lick. They use their tongue to eat, drink water, clean themselves, and show affection. Maybe a dog is not what you should be looking for.”

Woman: “Oh, that’s bull. I know you have some dogs here that don’t lick. If you don’t, then one of these other groups will.”

Me: “You are welcome to ask around.”

(The woman spent the next 30 minutes going to each tent trying to find a dog that doesn’t use its tongue. She ended up going inside and adopting a cat.)


This story is part of our Homeless Animals roundup!

Read the next Homeless Animals roundup story!

Read the Homeless Animals roundup!


This story is part of our Animal Shelter Roundup!

Read the next Animal Shelter Roundup story!

Read the Animal Shelter roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!