Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The One One Ring

| Friendly | October 20, 2014

(I’m texting a somewhat new friend, and we’ve gotten into talking about movies.)

Me: “I’m really excited to see The Hobbit this December. Are you planning on watching it?”

Friend: “Yeah. Did you know The Hobbit is a sequel to Lord of the Rings?”

Me: “Actually, Lord of the Rings is the sequel to The Hobbit. In fact, Tolkien wrote The Hobbit with no intent of continuing the series, so it’s surprising how many people think Lord of the Rings is the main story.”

Friend: “Wow, you know a lot. Have you seen all the movies?”

Me: “I’ve seen all the movies, read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion, participated in an insane amount of role-plays and debates about Middle Earth, and am planning to cosplay with my friends this Halloween.”

Friend: “You are seriously obsessed with this, aren’t you?”

Me: “Yep! I’ve even got this.” *sends picture of a replica One Ring*

Friend: “OH, MY GOD! IS THAT THE REAL RING?!”

Me: *assuming he’s joking* “Yep! Shame I’ll have to destroy it.”

Friend: “HOW DID YOU GET THE ONE RING?”

Me: “I… bought it online?”

Friend: “NO FREAKING WAY! IT’S REAL!”

Me: “Wait, you are kidding, right?”

Friend: “No…?”

Me: “You actually think this is the One Ring?”

Friend: “Isn’t it?”

Me: “It hurts to say this, but the Ring doesn’t actually exist…”

(The next time I talked to him, he said he’d thought it really was the One Ring!)


This story is part of the Tolkien-themed roundup!

Read the next Tolkien-themed roundup story!

Read the Tolkien-themed roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!