Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Say Sayonara To Stupid

| Friendly | November 9, 2014

(I’m a waitress at a small restaurant, and have just finished serving an older woman. I turn around to see my young son and I pick him up. Note: I am very white, and my son looks prominently Asian.)

Customer: “Oh, how sweet! You adopted! Aren’t you a little young, though?”

Me: “Perhaps, but actually this little man is 50% me.”

Customer: “You’re so selfless, giving one of those poor little Chinese babies a home!”

Me: “Uh, I didn’t adopt him. He’s my biological son. He’s half Japanese. Say hello, Hikaru!”

(He says hello to her in Japanese.)

Customer: *gasp* “You need to teach this little guy English. He’s going to have a really hard time around here if he only speaks Chinese!”

(At this point, I was tremendously uncomfortable. I asked my son in Japanese to say hello in English. The woman started rambling, saying how I’m only going to make life harder for my ‘adopted’ child since I kept speaking to him in Chinese. She doesn’t notice my husband walk up. He came up, unaware of the subject, and humorously asked if his son and I are being nice. Her eyes suddenly grew very wide. She paid and hurried out the doors, leaving my husband confused and me pretty ticked.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!