Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Taxing Customers

, , , , , | Right | January 17, 2011

(A customer comes through my line and is watching me ring up her items.)

Customer: “So, you guys tax each item individually?”

Me: “Yes, ma’am.”

Customer: “So, you don’t just add it to the total?”

Me: “Well, yes, and no. The running total adds it all up so you can see your current total, with tax. Your receipt will print up a single total tax added. It’s the same amount.”

Customer: “No, it’s not. You’re charging me more for each item!”

Me: “No, ma’am. It’s all the same. It’s just a matter of convenience, so you can see your total as each item is rung up.”

Customer: “No, it’s not! You’re stealing from me! I want to speak to a manager!”

(My manager has been standing behind her during the entire exchange.)

Manager: “Yes, ma’am, what can I do for you?”

Customer: “This young lady is stealing my money. She is adding extra tax and pocketing it!”

Manager: “Okay, ma’am, I’ll put it back for you.”

(My manager comes over and presses a few buttons that do nothing, then totals it out. The amount is the same, but the woman doesn’t notice.)

Manager: “Here you are, ma’am. You see your one tax add at the bottom.”

Customer: “Thank you!” *whispering* “You should get that evil girl out of here. She looks like a liberal, anyway.”


This story is part of our “Florida Man” roundup!

Read the next “Florida Man” roundup story!

Read the “Florida Man” roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!