Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Take Your Layaway Faraway

| Right | December 20, 2014

(I am working layaway around Christmas at a very popular retail store. Our policy is if you put something in layaway, we need your license. That way if you decide to take it out and get your money back, we know it’s you and not just a random person pretending to be you. A lady comes in one day wanted to cancel her layaway.)

Me: “Hello.”

Customer: “Hello, I’d like to cancel my layaway.”

Me: “All right, can I have your name and your license?”

Customer: “I don’t have my license, but here’s my name.” *gives name*

Me: “Okay, but ma’am, I’m going to need your license so you can prove who you are.”

Customer: “Why do you need my personal information for such a stupid thing? I was never told about this!”

Me: “It is company policy to tell each customer that to cancel, pay, or pick up their layaway, they must show their license. It is also written on our sign right here.”

(I point the large sign next to her that has in bold letters that you need your license during each layaway transaction.)

Customer: “You just put that there! I saw you do it! That was never there until just now!”

(The lady storms off and comes back with an older lady and two kids. The older lady steps up to the counter and hands me her license.)

Older Customer: “I’m her mom. Here is my license. She lives with me.”

(I look up their address in the computer, and it doesn’t show up.)

Me: “Ma’am, your address isn’t showing up in the system.”

Customer: “Well, why do you need my license anyway?! It’s such a stupid idea!”

Me: “How would you feel if, a few days before Christmas, you come to pick up your layaway and realize it’s not there, and all your money that you put into it was also gone?”

Customer: “That would be the worst thing ever and I’d probably sue the company for giving my things and money to someone else!”

Me: “That is the reason for us asking for the license.”

Customer: “I don’t have my license with me, but you have my name. That should be enough.”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am. I can’t give it to you, or your mom.”

Customer: “YOU ARE RUINING MY GRANDCHILDREN’S CHRISTMAS!”

(She harshly motions to the kids, who actually seem embarrassed about the scene that is unfolding. The two women start to storm off.)

Me: “Have a good day, ma’am.”

Customer: “Yeah, you too, b****!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!