Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Suite Deal Turns Sour

| Right | June 13, 2013

(Our CEO has just upgraded a guest and her husband from our basic room to our penthouse suites after having lunch with a mutual friend. Our basic rooms go for $150 a night, and the penthouses are $1000 a night. We require the guests to pay for two nights ($300) on check-in. I have just gone through the payment process, and have given the guest information about the hotel and our facilities. The guest’s husband has walked away to collect their bags.)

Guest: “So is breakfast included in my room cost?”

Me: “No, it’s not. However the penthouse has full kitchen facilities, so I can direct you to a store down the road if you would prefer to make your own.”

Guest: “You expect me to pay extra for breakfast?!”

Me: “Well, ma’am, as I said, you do have other options. There are also quite a lot of nice places for breakfast within a five-minute walk if you would prefer that.”

Guest: “You little b****! I’ve already paid a ridiculous amount for this penthouse! You will give me free breakfast, or I’ll get your stupid a** fired.”

Me: “Ma’am, a two-night stay in our penthouses usually costs $2000; you have paid $300. If you would prefer to pay the additional $1700, I will gladly include breakfast in this cost.”

(The guest starts to yell, calling me nasty names, and threatening to get me fired. When I still don’t give her what she wants, she grabs the room key and storms off. Her husband walks back into reception to see her storming away. The husband looks back to me.)

Guest’s Husband: *sighs* “She’s done it again, huh?”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir; what do you mean?”

Guest’s Husband: “We were upgraded at our last hotel, too. The receptionist there had that exact same look on her face. What did she say to you?”

Me: “She was unhappy that we charge extra for breakfast.”

Guest’s Husband: “Don’t worry; we’ll be paying for breakfast. I’m sorry if she was rude.”

Me: “It’s not a problem at all, sir. I hope you enjoy your stay.”

(The guest’s husband leaves. About 20 minutes later, both guests come through reception on their way to our restaurant. The husband smiles and waves to me, and, with a pointed look at his wife, continues on his way. The guest stops at the desk, and I prepare myself for another dose of name-calling.)

Guest: “I’m sorry about earlier. My husband says you were very polite to him, even after I was so rude to you.”

Me: “Not a problem at all, ma’am. I hope you enjoy your stay with us. If you need anything, please just let us know.”

(The guest nods, and walks away. I don’t see either guest again for the remainder of their stay. On the day they leave, I get a call from my CEO for an urgent meeting. Apparently, the guest felt so bad that she told my boss about what happened. I’ve now been given a raise, and a complimentary stay in the penthouses!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!