Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Sometimes, Ignorance Really Is Bliss

, , , , , , , | Right | April 30, 2009

(A customer has called to redeem the points earned on her credit card in exchange for return airfare from Montreal, Quebec, to Chicago, Illinois. I have just given her the flight departure and arrival times.)

Customer: “Why is the flight going there so short? You said it was a 90-minute flight.”

Me: “The times are given in their respective time zones. We are in the Eastern time zone, but Chicago is one hour behind us, and it’s in the Central time zone. The flight really is 90 minutes long, it just looks shorter due to the time difference.”

Customer: “Time… zones?”

Me: “Yes, we have five time zones: Maritimes, Eastern, Central, Mountain and Pacific Time. In your case, there is a one hour difference between each zone. If it is 11:00 am here, it is only 10:00 am in Chicago. So when your flight arrives in Chicago at 11:30 am, that is Chicago time. In Montreal it will actually be 12:30 pm, so the flight is an hour and a half.”

Customer: “Then why is the return flight so long? It’s like, an hour longer than the way there!”

Me: “Again, it is the difference between the time zones, only in reverse. It only looks as though the flight is longer but it’s also a 90-minute flight. It adds an hour on the return flight because you are coming back East.”

Customer: “I still don’t get it; the flight should be the same time in both directions. It’s 30 minutes to get there, but more than two hours to get back!”

(After 20 minutes of more explaining I give up.)

Me: “For the flight to Chicago, the wind is at your back, so the plane goes really fast. On the way back, it’s against the wind, and so the plane goes slower.”

Customer: “Oh! Well, that makes much more sense. Thank you!”

Me: “I do my best. Have a good trip, ma’am.”


This story is part of the More Clueless Tourists roundup!

Read the next story!

Read the roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!