Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Some Men Are Tools

| Working | October 24, 2012

(I am a female woodworking student, but I’ve been making furniture and wood decorations for many years prior to that.)

Owner: “Hi, can I help you, little miss?”

Me: “Hi, yes thanks! I would like to get a planer #4, and also wood chisels, size 3/8, 1/4 and 1 inch. I also need a 6 inch bevel and a square.”

Owner: “Why don’t you let your husband deal with that and send him here so you don’t get his order wrong?”

Me: “…I’m sorry? I’m a woodworker. This is all for me, and I would like you to stop making sexist assumptions like that.”

Owner: “You women should stay in your kitchen and leave the manual work to men! In no way you could use a planer correctly without a man’s help, little miss. Also, it’s too heavy for a woman.”

(Note: It’s about 5 lbs. A kid could lift that.)

Me: “Thanks for your help, that’s going to be all.” *hands him my debit card*

Owner: “You sure you don’t want to wait until your husband can come with you so he tells me exactly what he wants?”

Me: “No! I don’t have a husband, and I don’t need any help with my tools, thanks.”

(He finally lets me pay. However, when he hands me the bag, I decide to have a little fun with him. I let my arm fall low and bend half my body towards the floor.)

Me: *exaggerating* “Oh my God, this is so heavy! Can a man in this store help me, oh poor frail girl, to carry this huge bag of manly tools? I think I’m going to faint!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!