Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Saving The Earth, 7 MPG At A Time

, , , | Right | June 11, 2009

(A customer comes up to the counter with her arms full of books. After I ring them all through, I proceed to put her books in a bag.)

Customer: “Actually, I don’t need a bag. I’m doing my part to save the environment!”

Me: “Oh, okay, then!”

(I hand her her receipt and wish her a nice day, but she doesn’t move.)

Customer: “Excuse me… aren’t you going to help me carry my books to my car?”

Me: “I’m sorry, I can’t. I’m the only employee working here and there are other customers.”

Customer: “I beg your pardon? That’s rather rude! Help me carry my books to my car! They do it at grocery stores all the time. There is no reason why you can’t do it here!”

Me: “We don’t do that sort of thing here. If you want, you can bring back your bags. We’ll gladly re-use them.”

Customer: “No, I can’t do that! Now help me take my books to the car!”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am. I just can’t leave the store unattended.”

Customer: “Fine! But if I drop my books and damage them, you’re giving me free replacements!”

(The customer scoops all her books up in her arms and storms out. I watch her walk all the way across to the other side of the parking lot, stop, and intentionally drop her books into a puddle. She stomps back in and barges her way to the front of the line.)

Customer: “See? Look what happened! Give me your phone right now! I am calling your managers and you’re going to get fired!”

Me: “All right, here is the number for our downtown store.”

(The customer picks up the store phone and begins dialing.)

Customer: “Yes, I need to speak with the manager right away… Yeah. I’m at your south store and your incompetent employee wouldn’t help me carry my books to my car. I dropped them and now they are ruined!… Well, yes… Yes, she did offer me bags… No, I’m not disabled… Yes, I’m aware that she’s the only… What?! I can’t believe this!”

(The customer hangs up the phone, defeated, and turns to me.)

Customer: “You should be ashamed of yourself! At least I’m saving the environment!”

(I watched her walk through the parking lot again and get into her vehicle. Ironically, it was a huge SUV.)


Did you find this story on our World Environment Day roundup?

Click here to go to the next story!

Click here to go back to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!