Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Right-Click, Wrong-Click, Part 3

, , , | Right | May 3, 2011

Me: “Thank you for calling [company]. How can I help you?”

Caller: “Hi, I am trying to find out how much RAM I have on my computer.”

Me: “Okay. An easy way to find this is to right-click on the my computer icon, and left-click on properties.”

Caller: “Oh, okay. Now what?”

Me: “You should see a box pop up with information about the computer on it.”

Caller: “Okay, but nothing happened.”

Me: “Nothing at all? What do you see on your screen?”

Caller: “My desktop.”

Me: “Alright. Well, let’s try this again. What happens when you right-click on the my computer icon?”

Caller: “Nothing.”

Me: “Is the computer on?”

Caller: “Yes.”

Me: “Can you tell me, step by step, what you did?”

Caller: “Sure. You asked me to write click on my computer, and I didn’t want to write on my brand new computer, so I got a sticky note and wrote ‘click’ on the note. I stuck it to the screen, over the my computer icon.”

Me: *pause* “Oh. Okay. Well, by saying right-click, I meant pushing the button on the right side of the mouse. When you do this, it makes a clicking noise, so we techies call it ‘right-click’.”

Caller: “Oh, wow. That makes sense!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!