Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Respect Is Learned Before It Is Earned

| Right | January 30, 2013

(I am a teenage passenger on a public bus and there is an older gentleman talking so loudly on his cell phone that he’s drowning out my music player. I talk to the driver, who’s clearly just as annoyed by the man as the rest of us are.)

Me: “He’s being really loud. Is there anything you can do about it?”

Driver: “I would, but I’ve already been written up twice this week because rude customers complained about me telling them off; one more and I lose my job. I can’t take the chance.”

Me: “Okay, no problem…”

(I go over and stand in front of the rude passenger who’s still on his phone.)

Rude Passenger: *to his phone* “…KIDS ARE SO RUDE THESE DAYS! THEY HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THEIR ELDERS!”

Me: “Excuse me, sir.”

(He ignores me and keeps talking. I decide enough is enough, and I snatch the phone from him and turn it off before handing it back to him.)

Me: “First off, it’s rude to ignore someone when they address you. Second, it’s really disrespectful to be so loud in a public space; I couldn’t even hear my music over your griping. Maybe you wouldn’t have so much to complain about if you set a better example.”

(He was quiet for the entire rest of the trip, and the driver gave me a free all-day pass!)


This story is part of the People Who Should Get Off Their Phones roundup!

Read the next roundup story!

Read the roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!