Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Purchasing Identity Crysis

, , , , , , | Right | February 1, 2013

(Usually, Black Friday at our store is organized and lined up, but it usually leads to people getting impatient and loud with us. If one person holds up the line, the rest get extremely upset. It’s the worst when customers trade a whole bunch of games to us when there’s a huge line behind them.)

Coworker: “Okay, so the total amount of these trades that you’ll be getting back would be $54.46 in store credit, or $23 in cash.”

Customer: “Are you serious?! I paid over hundreds of dollars for these games and they cost only $20 in cash? You guys are thieves! Just give me my d*** cash, then!”

Coworker: “Well, I don’t control the prices here, sir. All right, so, I’d like to see your state ID, please, so we can continue to process these trades.”

Customer: *getting paranoid* “Why do you want to see my ID? Obviously, I look old enough to trade games, don’t I? I’m not giving you my ID. Thieving my identity!”

Coworker: “I can’t process the trade without seeing some state ID, sir.”

(I overhear the issue and notice that people are getting edgy in line because this man is holding it up. I approach my coworker.)

Me: “What’s going on here?”

Customer: *rudely interrupts my coworker before he can reply* “Your employee here is trying to steal my identification and give me a BS amount on my games so he can sell it back on the wall for twice of what it’s worth!”

Me: “Sir, we don’t control the trade amounts and that’s how the prices are processed. Business is business, but we’re not trying to swindle or steal anything from you, I can assure you.”

Customer: “Then why do you need to see my ID for the games? Just take them and give me my f****** cash!”

Me: “It’s store policy and for authority purposes only. We would have no reason to take your ID but we cannot go through with the transaction if we can’t see your ID, so that means you won’t be getting your cash at all unless we just see the ID for a minute and we’ll hand it right back to you.”

Customer: *huffs and holds out driver’s license* “Here, but don’t touch it!”

(My coworker strains to see the information to type in, because the customer refuses to stand any closer with it, and completes the process.)

Customer: “Can you put the cash on my credit card?”

Coworker: “Sure, just swipe your card here and I’ll see the last four digits of your credit card.”

Customer: “Why do you need to see all this personal information!? You guys are stealing from me, you a**holes! Not only my games but from me, too!”

Me: “Sir, you’re holding up the line. If you plan to make a scene, please speak with my manager so he can explain it to you.”

Manager: *already hearing the outburst* “Honestly, we’re not trying to steal anything from you and these games aren’t even worth it. Somehow, you’re making it worse for yourself by shouting because you’re raising suspicion on yourself. I would greatly appreciate it if you would just realize the fifty-something people behind you and get this over with because most of them here have done a trade themselves and not once have they complained about any thievery. Now, please, restrain yourself because there are children here, or I’ll ask you to leave the store and keep your games with you.”

(The customer grumbled obscenities under his breath and held out his card in an annoyingly far distance yet again, then proceeded to sign and storm out.)


This story is part of our Black Friday roundup!

Read the next Black Friday roundup story!

Read the Black Friday roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!