Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Pressing All The Wrong Buttons, Part 3

, , | Right | June 20, 2011

(I work as a tech support agent for a cell phone company.)

Me: “Thank you for calling tech support! My name is Steven. May I please have the ten-digit telephone number you’re calling about today?”

(The customer rattles off the number.)

Me: “Thank you! What can I do for you today?”

Customer: “You can fix my d*** phone, that’s what!”

Me: “I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues with your phone, sir. What exactly is going on?”

(The customer proceeds to explain the issue, with a good deal of vulgarity involved.)

Me: “Okay, sir, that’s actually a known issue with the phone. I can walk you through some steps to get it fixed.”

Customer: “Don’t give me that s***! Just turn the f***ing dial or whatever!”

Me: “Excuse me?”

Customer: “I know you have a dial or a knob or something to make my phone connect! Just f***ing push it!”

Me: “Okay, sir. Here’s what we need to do. Type in this code, exactly the way I tell you. When it comes back up, let me know. This will let me connect to your phone, and make sure it’s tied to the tower. Now, it might erase some of your data on the phone. It’s a new method we’re trying out.”

(I give him the steps to reset the phone, which is exactly what we’re supposed to do to fix the problem.)

Customer: “Finally!”

(He punches in the code. We wait for the phone to reboot. I’m quietly typing notes into the account.)

Customer: “It’s back up now.”

Me: “Great, sir! I’m going to push the button to reconnect you now!”

(I put the headset microphone close to my keyboard, and pound on a button. I make a nice, loud CLICK sound.)

Me: “Okay, try making a call to our test number.”

(I give him the test number. The customer dials the number and gets the automated response.)

Me: “Alright then, sir. Looks like you’re back up and running! Was there anything else?”

Customer: “No, that’s it. And don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone about the button.” *hangs up*

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!