Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Pajama Drama, Part 4

| Working | May 11, 2017

(I’m the customer in this story. I’m at a well-known retail store, picking up some things for my daughter. She’s fallen in love with a pair of Captain America pajamas, and the only one in her size is missing a price tag. I grab another from the rack so they can see the price and head to the register. The Cashier #1 starts ringing my items and, when he gets to the pajamas I stop him.)

Me: “Those are missing the price tag. I brought another one so you could see the price tag.”

(Cashier #1 rings the other one and goes to put it in the bag.)

Me: “No. Those were just so you could see the price tag. I need this one.”

Cashier #1: “But they’re different sizes.”

Me: “I know. My daughter needs this size.”

Cashier #1: “But they won’t cost the same amount. They’re different sizes.”

(I stare at him for a minute, thinking he’s joking. When I realize he’s not…)

Me: “They’re both standard sizes. They cost the same amount.”

Cashier #1: “No, they don’t. Each size costs a different amount.”

Customer #1: *behind me* “Maybe for a men’s 3XL, but not kids’ pajamas.”

(My cashier calls over to the cashier working the next register. Thinking she’ll set him straight, I relax and apologize to the people behind me that I’m holding them up.)

Cashier #2: “Ma’am, we can’t charge you a small price for a large pajama. They don’t cost the same thing.”

Customer #2: *also in line* “Are you kidding me?”

Cashier #1: “See, a small costs one price. A medium costs more. Not much more, but a bit more. And then a large costs more than that.”

Customer #2: *again* “Are you kidding me? No, they don’t.”

Cashier #2: “Different sizes cost different amounts.” *to [Cashier #1]* “Try putting in the number on the tag.”

(He has to go over to her so she can show him where the number is. He puts it in and the register asks for the price to be charged.)

Me: “I can pull up the pajamas on the store website, if you’d like. The large costs the same amount as the small. I can show you. They’re both $11.99.”

Cashier #1: “No, they don’t.” *to [Cashier #2]* “What should I do?”

Cashier #2: “Just let her get away with it. Put in the same price as the small.”

Me: *to [Customer #1]* “Am I in the Twilight Zone?’ *he laughs*

(Cashier #1, having “given in”, gives me my total. I am holding money out to him when I realize Cashier #2 has called over a supervisor.)

Cashier #2: *pointing over at me* “She’s trying to get a large pajama for the price of a small!”

(I should note she’s declaring this quite loudly. I’m hopeful that the supervisor will finally correct them.)

Supervisor: “Well, if he’s already taking her money, there’s nothing I can do. Just let it go.”

(Customer #1 was now laughing and the rest of the guests were shaking their heads in disbelief. Cashier #1 took my money, gave me my change, and the three of them glared at me as I left the store. I’m not one to make a fuss over things, but I actually called the corporate line and made a complaint (my first time ever doing that). I would have found it comical had they not treated me like I was a criminal pulling off the heist of the century. I was surprised security didn’t tackle me as I left. And the customer service agent I spoke to didn’t believe me at first. He thought I had to be joking. His response: “Did they really try to tell you that a small costs less than a medium or a large? Seriously? It sounds like they need to be retrained. I’m sorry about that.”)

 

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!