Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #308379

, | Unfiltered | November 9, 2023

(I’m the same author of this story, https://notalwaysright.com/this-party-has-gone-to-the-dogs/129542/ and although we still don’t have a dog, my boyfriend and I have adopted a cat, a very sweet stray who’s much better suited to being an apartment cat. Like many people, my apparent IQ drops by about 20 points when I’m in proximity to a friendly cat, so it comes as no surprise when Boyfriend periodically walks in on me baby-talking the cat and telling him what a good boy he is.)

Boyfriend: *jokingly* “I sure hope you’re talking about me, or I might get jealous!”

(I look up at him, still petting the cat.)

Me: “Well, are you my furry purry itty bitty kitty baby?”

Boyfriend: “…maaaaaaybe.”

Me: “Are you, then, my precious fuzzy wuzzy little stink-breath?”

Boyfriend: “I suppose I am not.”

Me: “No, you are my wonderful, talented, amazing smart-a**, and I adore you.”

Boyfriend: *laughing* “I’ll accept that!”

(I love both of my boys.)

Unfiltered Story #308378

, | Unfiltered | November 9, 2023

I work as a veterinarian technician at a local clinic. I sometimes help the staff up front with phone calls. Clinics all over are all experiencing difficulties in scheduling due to COVID. Everyone decided to go out and get a “pandemic pet”, and there is a shortage in staff available to work. Our wait time for new clients is 4-5 weeks so that we can accommodate our established clients first. This is a common practice with many clinics in our area that has been recently enforced. We are so booked up that we don’t have any time slots available until then anyway. If it is an urgent case, we may open up a slot sooner to accommodate, but routine wellness and vaccines have been booked out for over a month.

While some clients understand, others have turned down right nasty.

A client who we have not seen before called because her dog hurt her leg. We were not able to get her in and encouraged her to call urgent care so that she may be seen sooner. She then yelled at us that if her dog’s leg was broken, it wasn’t her fault, or her dog’s fault, it was our fault. Then she swore at us and hung up.

A new client called to book an appointment the next day for a health certificate for an apartment application. We were unable to book her due to us being double booked. She then got very angry and yelled that she has called five different clinics and that each one has told her the same thing, and that she doesn’t understand how we can run a business this way and hangs up. (We can run one well if we are booked out for over a month).

Another client wanted us to express her dogs anal glands. You know the drill: double booked, not urgent. The client screamed at us that was inhumane, and it was against her human rights, her dog’s rights, and against her couch.

These are just a few examples, but there are loads more. We have been yelled and screamed at, cursed at, threatened, and one poor tech was semi-stalked by a disgruntled client (she kept showing up when the tech was working and backed off after being told the police would intervene). We are understaffed, overworked, and are doing our best but times are hard for everyone. Please be patient, book your routine appointments early and know that we love your pet as much as you love your pet, we just can’t see them all.

Unfiltered Story #308377

, | Unfiltered | November 9, 2023

It’s February, all the Christmas stock we had has long since been reduced and sold off. A customer approaches me.

Customer: Do you have any more Christmas trees?

Me: No, I’m sorry, all the Christmas stock has gone.

Customer: When will you be getting some more in? Next week?

Me: Um… at Christmas?

So, THAT’S The Hill You’ve Chosen To Die On?

, , , | Right | November 9, 2023

I’m a shift lead for a liquor store chain that was recently purchased by a delivery company. Times are hard for tech execs who were counting on an IPO to make them billionaires, and there have been cuts. Now, we use drivers from the main delivery company’s network instead of our own.

This causes miscommunications, which is fine. One of the most common is a customer ordering some food or ice cream for delivery. Without alcohol or tobacco in the order, we sometimes get underage drivers, who cannot legally enter our store on account of our tasting room. Liquor laws are archaic but inviolable, so we turn those drivers away politely and wait for the next.

Tonight, I get a driver who has left his ID in the car.

Driver: *Annoyed* “You mean I gotta walk back out to the car?”

Me: “I’m afraid so.”

Driver: “I’m just gonna cancel the pickup.”

Me: “Fine by me.”

And off he goes. Ten minutes later, he walks back in, on his phone.

Now, this puts me in a tough spot. We don’t card everyone who walks in, but this is an individual whom I’ve asked for ID and received excuses instead. It’s probably innocuous, but maybe it’s not. So, I find him in the store.

Me: “Do you have your ID now?”

He’s still on the phone and pretty pointedly ignoring me, so I ask again, loudly enough for whoever’s on the other end to hear. Now he responds.

Driver: “I have my ID, but I won’t be showing you!”

Well, that makes things easier.

Me: “You’ll need to leave, in that case.”

Driver: “Fine.”

He seems to be waiting for me to walk away, but I gesture toward the door.

Me: “Let’s go, then!”

He scoffs but starts walking, stopping to tell my fellow shift lead how unreasonable we’re being. A kid getting some soda while his parents get their drinks drops a bottle, and the dude crows about how Karma is instant as he finally leaves. That finally pushes me enough to fill out the corporate driver complaint form.

Sometime later, the phone rings. When I realize who’s on the other end, the last bits of my customer service finally come untethered.

Driver: “We need to apologize to each other.”

Me: “You can do whatever you like. I’ve already pushed this up to the corporate level and do not care anymore.”

Driver: “When will the general manager be in?!”

Me: “I will not be providing any other employee’s schedule to anyone, much less you.”

Driver: “You’re enjoying this!”

Me: “Actually, I am. You are free to do as you please.”

I end the call.

Half an hour before close, who should roll through the door but the driver who didn’t have time to go get his ID two hours ago.

Driver: “Call the general manager.”

Fine. Fine. I am only too happy to pass this one up the chain. I call my boss on the store phone, tell her a customer wants to complain about me, and pass him the phone.

He spends a full ten minutes telling her how incredibly unprofessional I am without naming any specifics, tells her she needs to hire a better manager, and finally resorts to repeating how “unsafe” I made him feel. He hammers the “unsafe” line for at least half the call’s runtime, and I start grinning as he strikes out over and over. He looks up at one point and angrily tells my boss that I’m ENJOYING making him come back to complain, and I give him a big thumbs-up. He hurriedly relates my thumbs-up to my boss, hoping for a kill shot. It is not.

He finally peters out and sets down the handset without any kind of goodbye. I pick it up and check: the line is dead. I suspect my boss hung up on him. The driver turns around and goes to walk not outside, but deeper into the store!

I come around the counter to follow him.

Me: “We’re closing, and it’s time for you to go.”

He turns around and sneers.

Driver: “You’re still open for fifteen minutes—”

Me: “You’ve been asked to leave and refused, and so you’re now trespassing.”

He finally left for the last time. Two hours after close, my fellow manager and I were cleaning the store and filling delivery orders, and the phone rang. I let her answer. I already knew who it was.

Unfiltered Story #308373

, | Unfiltered | November 9, 2023

*Trigger warning: this story talks about pet death, euthanasia, and end-of-life care*

A client calls to ask for advice on the management of their pet’s terminal illness. [Pet] is nearing the end and, while still playful and doing all their other normal activities, will not eat without palliative medication. Many pet owners have a hard time deciding it’s time to let their pet go, and a large part of end-of-life care is keeping the pet alive and comfortable long enough for their owner to make that decision, because letting a pet simply die on its own tends to be traumatic for both owner and pet.

Client: “This anti-nausea medication you sent home works really well, but [Pet] hates it. Is it really important that that I give it to them?”
Me: “Is [Pet] eating without it?”
Client: “They eat for a day or two after I give it, but then it’s back to refusing everything except a few treats. And [Pet] is already so thin.”
Me: “If [Pet] won’t eat without the medication, then it sounds like you need to keep them on it.”
Client: “But [Pet] just gets so upset when I give it, and I don’t want to stress them out.”
Me: “If [Pet] is really traumatized by being medicated, then you need to think about whether keeping them alive is worth that distress, or if it’s time to consider euthanasia. Because [Pet] needs to eat to stay alive.”
Client: “I mean, [Pet] gets over it after a couple of hours. They’re not THAT upset.”
Me: “Is there anything else I can help you with?”
Client: “No. Thank you for listening to me.”

I don’t think this client was actually looking for permission to let their pet starve to death, they just hadn’t quite made the connection that if they stop the medication that is keeping their pet alive, then their pet will die, just like if you remove a feeding tube from someone on life support. You really don’t go into the veterinary industry expecting to have to hold people’s hands through if-then statements.