Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Scratchy Slice Of Married Life

, , , , , , | Right | November 10, 2023

I am working in the kitchen utensils department, and a couple approaches me.

Wife: “Hi, I’m looking for a good fish slice. I only used mine to scoop pizza, but for some reason, it keeps getting scratched.

(Editor’s note: a “fish slice” is a spatula, usually metal, with slots in it.)

Me: “We have some good-quality ranges here, ma’am.”

I show the couple the range, and the husband’s eyes go wide.

Husband:That’s what a fish slice is?! I thought it was something else!”

Wife: “No, it’s always been… Wait, have you been using it?”

Husband: “Well… I thought it was for something else.”

Wife: “What have you been using it for?”

Husband: “I’ve… been using it to scrape the limescale from the bathroom.”

Wife: “But… we have limescale remover… and… and this thing is in our kitchen! What would make you think it’s a bloody limescale remover?!”

Husband: “The limescale remover is in the kitchen, too!”

Wife: “Oh, so you know we have a dedicated limescale remover, but you still used the bloody fish slice to scrape at it? That wouldn’t even bloody work!”

Husband: “Don’t shout at me because you don’t keep the kitchen organised!”

This was going to go on for a while, so I slowly walked away. At least we solved the mystery of why her fish slice kept getting scratched!

Flirt Around And Find Out

, , , , , , , , , | Working | CREDIT: cleanlinessisbest12 | November 10, 2023

I’m a man in my early thirties, and I work in semiconductors. Recently, a female employee in her early twenties was moved to my area, and I had to train her. It’s a well-known fact at work that this girl is flirty and inappropriate. She has gotten several men fired and reported just as many to Human Resources. Her file must be thick.

As soon as she was moved to my area, I could see that she was shy with me and a little flirty. As the days went by, she became more and more flirtatious, very hands-on, and touchy-feely. She would even say how cute she thought I was, etc. I admit I played back with her but never in an inappropriate manner. She added me on social media, and we exchanged information as she had expressed interest in hanging out.

I guess one weekend [Employee] saw on social media that I had gone to the park one day, and when I came back to work the following week, she acted very odd and angry. It turned out that she was upset that I had never called her. She was acting very immature, and overall, it was just crazy that someone would get that mad considering we had never officially made plans or anything.

A few weeks later, the same flirty behavior was still going on. I ended up missing a few days of work due to a bad stomach bug. I couldn’t eat or drink anything. After a couple of days of being in bed, I felt well enough to look at my phone, and I had a ton of notifications. A few were from [Employee]; she was so angry that I left her on read, and she had tried to get ahold of me multiple times with no success.

The following Monday, I got to work, and of course, [Employee] was angry, but I just ignored her and kept working. Shortly after, the manager came up to me and told me to get my stuff because I was being moved. I kind of figured this had something to do with [Employee], but I wasn’t sure, so I asked. It turned out that she told them that I had asked her out repeatedly, she had turned me down every time, I’d been mean to her ever since she turned me down, and I refused to help her with work — all very untrue.

This was escalated to HR, and soon after, I got a call from HR explaining that there was an open investigation on me for what [Employee] had said. I denied all accusations and told them I had no problem sending them screenshots proving that she was lying.

I sent them all of the messages with her calling me “honey” and telling me I was cute. I sent them a message from three days before her complaint, where she had asked me to hang out when we had time off together. The last message I sent to HR was a message from [Employee] apologizing for slapping me in the face at work twice. She did this in an immature flirting type of way, but I was pretty mad and never said anything, just kept the texts.

After she made up lies trying to get me fired because I left her on read for too long, I figured HR would like to see a message from a girl who was admitting to assaulting someone at work unprovoked.

Needless to say, a couple of weeks after the investigation began, [Employee] was fired, and all was right in my world again.

“Brace” Yourself For This Wife

, , , , , , , | Right | November 10, 2023

Customer: “I need some ankle monitors. I need to keep my husband safe at home for a while.”

Me: “Uh… I don’t… think that’s something we do?”

Customer: “Yes, you do! I’ve seen you sell them!”

Me: “You’ve seen us sell ankle monitors?”

Customer: *Rolling her eyes* “Ugh! Yes! My husband sprained his ankle while playing tennis, and he has to stay off his feet for a while.”

Me: “Oh, you mean an ankle brace? Like those pressurised socks for ankle injuries?”

Customer: “Oh, are they different things?”

Me: “Very much so.”

Customer: “Well, is an ankle monitor better? Will it keep him safe at home?”

Me: “It would definitely keep him at home!”

I then explain exactly what an ankle monitor is for and how it’s the police that “provide” them, not pharmacies.

Customer: “Oh! How embarrassing. I don’t need a monitor for him, though! I’ve hidden one of those Apple Air Tags in all of his bags and jackets, so I always know what he’s up to!” 

She then “boasted” by showing me her iPhone, with a list of FOURTEEN Air Tags all labeled “Useless Husband”. I swear, I’ll never understand boomer marriage humor.

We’ve Seen Some Big Rats, But…

, , , , , , | Working | November 10, 2023

One time, an escaped hog got into our bakery during a health inspection. The health inspector was checking for vermin and opened the door leading to the alleyway in the back.

The escaped hog came barreling through the door, knocking over the health inspector. As it began to chew on whatever carbohydrates it could get its mouth on, the health inspector addressed our head baker.

Health Inspector: “Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t fail you for this right here and now.”

Head Baker: “I’ll give you two. One, that’s not our pig. And two, you’re the one who let the pig in.”

We did not fail the inspection, but we did have to throw out an awful lot of product and deep-clean the entire pantry.

This Guy’s The Complete Package Of Red Flags, Wrapped In Red Flags

, , , , , , , , , , , | Romantic | November 10, 2023

I ended up divorcing my husband due to him being… well, the words to describe him are not family-friendly. Let’s just start with “worthless” and let the rest of the story help you come up with the adjectives.

I was in my third trimester with my baby girl. Two weeks before my due date, I had a day off work, and my stomach tightened. It was early morning and just felt like a cramp. I believed it was a Braxton Hicks — a false labor pain. My husband went to work as usual.

It was lunch before I felt it again.

It came again less than an hour later, so just for fun, I took out my phone and loaded an app that counted/timed contractions. I thought this would be a good test run for the real thing. False labor pains happen in the second or third trimester. Unlike in movies where everything becomes dramatic when your water breaks and everything happens quickly, it’s basically like wetting yourself and heading to the hospital fairly calmly since the actual birth can take a long time. (There are exceptions, of course, but the movies make it way more exciting than it really is at the start. It only gets exciting at the end.)

As I walked around the store, I recorded my “tightenings” on the phone. I left with five full bags and proceeded to lug them back to my apartment. Each time I felt something, I stopped, put the bags down, input the time into the app, and waited for the feeling to pass.

When I finally got home, I looked at my phone.

Huh. Each “tightening” was exactly four minutes apart by now.

I called my husband.

Me: “I think I’m in labor.”

Husband: “I thought you said they were false labor.”

Me: “I thought so at the beginning of the day, but now they’re only four minutes apart.”

Husband: “Are you getting them right now?”

Me: “…No. It seems to have stopped.”

Husband: “Well, then it’s not regular and probably a false alarm.”

We got off the phone. I felt another tightening.

I called my husband again. 

Me: “I seriously think I’m in labor.”

Husband: “You think you are in labor? Or you are in labor?”

Me: “I’m not sure I’m in labor, but they’re happening still.”

Husband: “How about you call me when you’re actually sure?”

Me: “[Husband]…”

Click.

I scowled and sat around my apartment playing with the app. The “tightenings” seemed to get more intense but less regular. And then more regular but less intense. But they definitely weren’t going away.

I called [Husband] again. It was now about 4:00 pm.

Me: “You should come home. Now.”

Husband: *Sigh* “Okay.”

I clenched my teeth at his sigh. I’m sure you can imagine my state two hours later (now 6:00 pm, for those counting) when [Husband] walks in the door with three huge bags from a local grocery store.

Me: *Incredulous and angry* “What the h*** is that?!”

Husband: “We needed toilet paper and paper towels.”

Me: “Your very pregnant wife tells you to come home now, and you go to the drugstore to buy paper products?!”

Husband: *Shrugging* “How are you feeling?”

Me: “They’re still not stopping. We need to get to the hospital.”

We then got into an argument over real labor versus false labor, with [Husband’s] Expert Via Google opinion that it was still false labor. The contractions are totally irregular, you don’t seem like you are in that much pain, it’s two weeks early, the doctor told us yesterday that you’re not dilated at all, etc., etc., going on for an hour. Finally:

Husband: “Look, if you think it’s real labor, then call the doctor.”

Well, the nurse’s station answered. I described what was happening. She told me that she didn’t think I should come in.

Me: “Why not?”

Nurse #1: “Well, you are talking to me easily and don’t seem to be in that much pain.”

Me: “Is it possible I just have a really high tolerance for pain?”

Nurse #1: “No.”

She then hung up on me.

Then, one of [Husband’s] friends called.

Me: “I still think it’s the real thing.”

Husband: *To his friend* “[My Name’s] having false labor pains.”

Seriously? My husband is telling his friend I’m in false labor as if he knows ANYTHING?

Husband: *To me* “My friend says you should press a tennis ball into your back.”

I pressed a tennis ball into my back, and it was perhaps the best advice anybody had ever given me. I owe the man a case of beer and one h*** of a BBQ dinner.

[Husband] proceeded to fall asleep on the couch. (Of course, he did. It’s not like something exciting was happening or anything.) I debated waking him but decided to let him sleep. After all, it would be his last chance for uninterrupted sleep EVER.

Meanwhile, the contractions continued to get more intense, longer, and more regular. This was definitely the real thing.

I called the nurse’s station again.

Nurse #1: “You still don’t sound like you are in a lot of pain.”

Me: “I assure you, I am in a lot of pain.”

Nurse #1: *Dismissively* “I would suggest waiting.”

I finished packing our hospital bag. I tried everything imaginable to make myself more comfortable: leaning over the couch, lying on the floor, curled in the fetal position, etc. My tennis ball played a critical role in each position. Finally, the pain was intolerable. 

I woke my husband up. It was now 2:00 am, and I was trying not to scream.

Me: “It’s time to go to the hospital.”

[Husband] is THE WORST when he is awoken from a deep sleep. He gave me a sleepy, disbelieving scowl.

Husband: “Don’t you remember that the teacher at the class said to wait as long as possible before you go to the hospital because if you are not far enough along, they will just send you home?”

Me: *Through clenched teeth* “Yes, I do. Why do you think I let you sleep for the past five hours? LET’S GO.”

We went downstairs. It was both raining and snowing out. Great. That’s what I need while my entire body is screaming like the souls of the d***ed from the pain. Just that extra smidgen of wet and uncomfortable on top of the sundae.

Husband: “I have to get a cup of coffee.”

Me: “Seriously?!”

Husband: “Yes, seriously. I’ll just go to the gas station to get a cup. Wait here.”

The night employee was looking out at me with total and complete terror. He could tell something was off by the way I was grimacing and giving open-mouthed yelps at regular intervals. I grabbed my tennis ball, bent over the dashboard, and pressed it into my back. 

My husband returned about fifteen minutes later.

Husband: “Sorry I took so long. I had to wait for them to brew a fresh pot.”

Me: “ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? YOU WAITED FOR THEM TO BREW A FRESH POT?! WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU THINK IS GOING ON HERE?”

The employee gave me a sad smile. I think it was pity.

When we got to the hospital, [Nurse #2] told us they were filled to capacity.

Me: “Excuse me?”

Nurse #2: “You’ll have to wait in the waiting room.”

I looked at the little grey room with the tiny television and the uncomfortably upright couches.

Me: “You’ve got to be kidding me.”

I spent the next three hours leaning against a wooden bench with my trusty tennis ball jammed into my side.

Yes, I said THREE HOURS before they even checked me in.

Me: “Does anyone ever give birth in the waiting room?”

Nurse #2: “No. It’s never happened.”

Me: “Never say never…”

When they finally admitted me, I was dilated to four centimeters. I think this was the first time [Husband] let it sink in that I was actually having our baby.

Up until that point, I had been taking the whole thing in somewhat stride — walking around, using my tennis ball, bending over the couch, etc. — but once I lay down, ALL H*** BROKE LOOSE.

I started shivering, the contractions went from zero to sixty, and I felt total panic set in. I truly was not sure I could do this. The staff were doing great, though. They got moving as the room faded out around me. I couldn’t focus on anything but my body’s pain and the contractions that were making me spasm. 

When the nurses asked how bad the pain was from one to ten, I said ten.

Husband: “Oh, come on. It can’t be that bad!”

The only reason I didn’t punch him out was because he was standing against the wall, out of reach.

Yet another nurse squeezed my hand, told me to breathe, and said it would be fine.

Then, I was given an epidural. It was one of the scarier experiences of my life because you’re trying desperately to stay still while your body wants to convulse like crazy. But once it was administered and the drugs kicked in, all was well.

It was now about 6:00 am. I looked around, my brain finally registering that something was missing. No, someONE was missing. My husband.

The nurse checked outside the room in case he had just stepped out. No dice. He was gone, as in gone from the hospital. I called my mom in tears and she arrived in record time.

For the next twelve hours, I was in the room, watching television, and trying to remain relaxed. Countless calls to my husband’s phone went straight to voicemail. My water finally broke during this time.

At 6:00 pm, I was surrounded by doctors and nurses being told to push. I must say, it felt incredibly strange to be part of the same intense scene you have seen played out in the movies and on episodes of TV a billion times. It was like living my very own cliche.

After the first push, the doctor said:

Doctor: “Great job! You will have this baby in no time!”

I pushed again. 

The pushing process turned out to be way easier than I expected — I know nobody says that — and I couldn’t stop laughing at myself through most of it. I think either the epidural was hitting me a bit harder than normal, or maybe my brain was just reacting to the situation that way. I’ll never know why I decided to giggle like an idiot about inane things.

Nurse #3: “Do you want a mirror to see what’s happening?”

Me: “Nope!”

Two more pushes, and my baby was out.

My husband arrived over an hour later. I had already held my baby and gotten that first dose of The Best Thing In The World. That was now over. I was exhausted and miserable, and I wanted nothing more than a shower and sleep, but I was too tired and post-birth-unstable to get up for said shower. 

My mom all but dragged my husband out by the ear into the hallway to have a “talk with him”. The next thing I knew, my mom basically exploded and demanded he be removed.

Apparently, my husband originally decided to head home for a bit because he was “exhausted”. Then, on the way out, he got a call from his (female) “best friend” who “needed him.” You know, less a female friend and more like a female “friend”. The kind of person that he tells you is just a friend and you don’t have to worry about it. The kind of friend he somehow always picks over you, his wife. The female friend who gets priority more often than she should. The friend he had a very codependent relationship with. 

I had initially been chill about it because I didn’t want to be that insecure person who can’t handle their spouse having friends of the opposite gender. Unfortunately, I hand-waved a lot of concerning things due to self-doubt and some manipulative comments from my husband about my slowly growing discomfort.

Well, apparently, he spent quite a while with her while I lay in the hospital preparing to bring new life into the world. This is why my mother ripped him a new one when he finally decided to come back after he’d gone through the texts and messages and carefully calculated how to strategically miss the messy part of giving birth.

He didn’t believe it at first when I called (from my parents’ house) and told him that we were divorcing. He tried to play it off.

Husband: “Oh, women always say that when they’re in labor.”

Me: “Labor is over, a**hole! Now it’s consequence time!”

My dad and his brother (my uncle) ended up going home to pack more baby stuff for me. I don’t know what was said during that time, but my husband was very sullen and sulky after my dad came back carrying the majority of the things from the nursery, including the crib.

He barely waited for the divorce to be finalized before he was engaged to his “best friend”.

I can only be thankful for my support network because child support is all I get from him, even though he was awarded joint custody.