Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Mental Health Food

, , , , , , | Right | November 21, 2023

It’s been a long week. I am tired, both physically and mentally, and I must look it because when I walk into the fast food place to get some pick-me-up food, the manager says to me:

Manager: “Are you okay?”

Me: “I will be. I’ve been looking forward to a hot meal.”

I put in my order, but suddenly, my card declines. I don’t have a lot of money, but I have budgeted for this modest meal; I kinda need it for my mental health.

Me: “I… I’m so sorry… I… I thought I had enough.”

Manager: “I saw on the news this morning how much profit this chain made in the last quarter. Billions. And they still won’t approve my staff working full time hours to qualify for benefits. So, you know what? F*** em. Order anything you want. On the house.”

Me: “You really don’t need to—”

Manager: “No, I really do need to.”

He practically threw my order at me, along with an extra burger (a premium one!) and more sides. Since it was slow (it was the middle of the night), he then grabbed a burger himself, and we sat by the entrance and chatted about life and its ups and downs for a few minutes before I thanked him and went on my way.

I know his kindness came from a “f*** corporate” attitude, but it was exactly what I needed on that day and I think about him often.

We Can’t Believe They Thought That Would Work, Part 2

, , , , , | Right | November 21, 2023

I am serving two customers, and one of them hands me a $100 bill.

Me: “I’m sorry, but I can’t accept that bill.”

Customer: “Why not? Surprised someone like me has a $100?! Is it because I’m Black?”

Me: “No, it’s because the bill is. It should be green.”

The customers storm out, one of them scolding the other.

Customer: “I thought you said that cashier was the color-blind one!” 

Related:
We Can’t Believe They Thought That Would Work

The Chocolate Is Sweet, But This Is Sweeter

, , , , , | Right | November 21, 2023

I work at a petrol station overnight. Every evening around 2:00 am, this Middle Eastern guy in his late twenties comes by to get his petrol. He hardly speaks English and is always very polite. He also always buys three chocolate bars for £1 that are next to the registers.

After a week of this, he buys his three chocolate bars and then hands me one.

Me: “You’re giving it to me?”

Customer: “I always give chocolate to my friends.”

He then flashed a huge and wonderful smile and went on his way.

He buys a chocolate for me every day at 2:00 am and has done so for months. He’s a late-night delivery driver, and he doesn’t get a chance to speak to many English speakers outside of his deliveries, so I have been helping him with his English. I happily take my chocolate bar as payment.

Spoken Like A Person Who Hasn’t Had To Fight For Their Rights

, , , , , , , , | Working | November 21, 2023

A post in Pride Month reminded me of a similar experience. I was a sixty-two-year-old woman with white hair and was conventionally dressed when this happened. I had moved into my very elderly parents’ home to take care of them. They lived in a relatively quiet, middle-class neighborhood in Queens, part of New York.

I shopped weekly in the local stores that my parents had frequented for decades. The woman who owned the bakery that I shopped in weekly was always complaining about something, usually the government and taxes.

My girlfriend/spouse “commuted” bi-monthly between our home abroad and my parents’ house. When the NY legislature passed the Marriage Equality Act in 2011, I proposed, and we got married on her next trip to NY.

On my next shopping trip, the bakery owner was complaining again about the stupid government.

Owner: “Gay marriage! Who needs gay marriage?! They should do something about…”

Me: *Interrupting* “I needed it. It enabled my long-time partner and me to get married. We’ve been together for years, and we finally have the same rights that you do.”

She stopped dead in her tracks, mouth hanging open, while the employee did all she could do to stop from cracking up and did manage to grin from ear to ear when she caught my eye. 

The owner eventually started stuttering an apology — after all, I was a good customer. I don’t think she ever got over it.

You Probably Shouldn’t Add That To Your Resume

, , , , , , , | Right | CREDIT: Undeadanything | November 21, 2023

This happened when I was in my late twenties and was working as a wireman and moonlighting as a mechanic. As a result of my two jobs and a few other factors, I have ended up with a key ring to put a janitor to shame. Apparently, this would come into play later on.

After a particularly long day, I went to a large retail chain to pick up a few things, and I wandered back toward the electronics part of the store. I was standing there with my earbuds in, listening to music, and looking for a replacement phone case when this lady walked up and stood halfway between being next to me and being behind me. I was in my own little world comparing cases, and by a habit I picked up when I was a librarian’s assistant, I was also putting random cases back where they belonged while trying to find what I needed.

This lady started rattling away about something that I couldn’t hear, and after saying something to get my attention a couple of times, she tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around, removing one earbud so I could hear her.

Lady: “Where are the [item]s?”

Me: “I have no idea.”

And I went back to what I was doing. This apparently did not sit well with this lady, and she stormed off to find the manager.

Some twenty minutes later, I found my way to the camping section for some other item I needed. From the far end of the aisle, here came the lady from before with a poor, befuddled manager in tow, pointing me out, and squawking away about something I couldn’t hear. As they approached, I saw that the woman was pointing at me, and the manager took over, finally putting on his big boy pants. Again, I removed my earbuds to see what they had come to disturb me with.

Manager: “Why did you refuse to help this woman earlier?”

Me: “It’s not my job to help someone find something they can’t find on their own.”

Apparently, this was the wrong reply, and he proceeded to chew me up one side and down the other.

At that point, I had realized what was going on, and I halfway played along while trying to contain my fitful laughter.

Manager: “You need to turn your keys in. You are suspended until further notice!”

After a flippant and dismissive comment from me, the manager then proceeded to do his best impression of a cartoon character’s volcanic explosion of anger and let loose.

Manager: “You are fired, effective immediately! You can no longer apply to work for any [Store] ever again!”

I could no longer contain myself and started laughing hysterically.

Me: “I don’t work here!”

Manager: “Of course you don’t! I just fired you!”

Me: “Let me clarify: I have never worked for [Store], ever. I’ve never even applied.”

At this stage, the lady had turned several shades of embarrassed red, and the manager had joined her, his anger fleeing faster than a track star when he realized his mistake.

Still giggling uncontrollably, I grabbed my cart and strolled away while she proceeded to dole out apologies for the entire affair.