Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

One Annoyed Paranoid, Part 2

, , , , | Right | June 10, 2011

(It is store policy to ask customers for zip codes, purely for survey purposes.)

Me: “Good evening. May I have you zip code, please?”

Customer: “No! That’s how they find you!”

Me: “I’m sorry?”

Customer: “Oh, yes. I heard it on the news. The number one way that people steal your identity is from your zip code!”

Me: “I’ll just enter a random one, then.”

Customer: “Thank you. Hey, do you guys ever have coupon specials?”

Me: “Oh, yes. Several times a year. We send out coupons to our email list. Would you like to sign up?”

Customer: “Sure!”

Me: “Alright. When you get home, you can go to our website. The address is on your receipt. Sign up with your email address there.”

Customer: “Wait, you’ll have my email address then?”

Me: “Yes, ma’am. That’s how the coupons and discounts get sent out. However, we keep that information very private. It’s not given out to anyone else.”

Customer: “No way, they’ll use it to steal my identity! Let me give you my street address. You can send things there.”

(The customer proceeds to hand me a blank check with all her info. She doesn’t even bother to void it.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!