Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Thinking Outside The Box

| Working | October 13, 2013

(I am at a large chain grocery store, buying some groceries and a $10 food donation box for a local neediness shelter.)

Cashier: *sees the $10 box, turns it all over and doesn’t read the label* “I don’t understand what this is.”

Me: “Uh… it’s a food donation. You guys are doing a donation drive, right? That’s why these boxes are by the checkout line.”

Cashier: “We are? What is this? Is this, like, for you to eat?”

(The cashier puts it down and begins scanning my other items.)

Me: “No, it’s a donation! Also, I have a store card that you didn’t scan.”

Cashier: *scoffs* “Oh, right.” *scans it*

Me: “Where do I put the box anyway?”

Cashier: “I have no idea. They never tell me anything. Go to the front desk.” *rolls eyes at me*

(I go to the front desk after being checked out.)

Me: “I just bought this food donation and don’t know where it goes.”

Clerk: *blank stare*

Me: *holds up box*

Clerk: *to the busy manager across the room* “HEY, WHAT DO WE DO WITH THESE BOX THINGS?”

Manager: “Look right behind you; they go on top of the stack of other ones.”

Clerk: “Are you sure?” *hesitantly puts box with other ones*

Manager: *to me* “Thank you for your purchase!”

(I sincerely hope that shelter actually receives its donations at the end of the month!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!