Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not-So-Great Expectations

, , | Right | February 2, 2009

(It is Memorial Day, and my restaurant happens to be open, although business us very slow. I then received a phone call.)

Me: “Thank you for calling [Restaurant]; how can I help you?”

Caller: “Yes, can you tell me if [Competitor’s Restaurant] is open today?

Me: “Uh, I really don’t know if they’re open. You know you called [Restaurant], right?”

Caller: “Of course I do, I just assumed you would know if they were open.”

Me: “Ma’am, we’re not affiliated with them. We really don’t keep track of what other restaurants in the area do with regard to their business hours.”

Caller: “You’re not being very helpful. I think there should be something you should be able to do.”

Me: “Have you tried calling them?”

Caller: “Of course I’ve tried calling them. I’m not an idiot.”

Me: “What did they say when they answered?”

Caller: “No one picked up. I called four different times, and no one answered.”

Me: “Well, that probably means that they’re closed today. If no one is working there, I mean.”

Caller: “I just want to make sure. Can you send someone over there to check?”

Me: “Um, no, we can’t.”

Caller: “Why not?”

Me: “Because we work here. I can’t send an employee out of the restaurant to drive down the road and find out if a competitor is open today. If you really want to find out, I suggest you drive there yourself.”

Caller: “I’m not going to waste my time and drive to a restaurant where no one answered the phone! My time is valuable.”

Me: *losing patience* “Clearly.”

Caller: “Look, I don’t see why this is so difficult. Just send someone down there to see if they’re open. It’s not like you’re working today.”

Me: “Actually, we are working. Our restaurant is open today.”

Caller: “Oh, do you have any specials?”

Me: “…”


Did you find this story using our Memorial Day roundup?

Click here to read the next story!

Click here to get back to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!