Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

No Good Deed Goes Unthreatened, Part 2

| Right | November 30, 2012

(I work for a cosmetics store. We’re collecting donations for a popular women’s charity. However, as I am not well off, and cannot donate more than a dollar or two here or there myself, I mention it very casually and do not think badly of those who do not donate, or donate small amounts.)

Me: “Okay, so your total is $x.xx. Would you like to round up your purchase for the charity we are supporting today? No obligation!”

Customer #1: “What does that mean?”

Me: “Oh, we’re supporting [Charity] for this month, so I’m just asking everyone if they would like to contribute any amount, even a few cents. No obligation, like I said, I have to ask each customer. I was asking if you wanted to contribute a few cents to round up your purchase to the nearest dollar today.”

Customer #1: “So, I look like some kind of sucker to you, I guess? I look like I have a goldmine just flowing out of my pockets? No, I will not be donating today. Thank you for the guilt trip!”

Me: “Alrighty, no problem. Your total is [total].”

Customer #1: “No. You tacked on a donation. I want the exact itemization of my purchase!”

Me: “Okay, ma’am.”

(I proceed to go over each item and add it up on a calculator, plus sales tax. Eventually, Customer #1 is satisfied. She’s still standing around, but I move on to the next customer, Customer #2.)

Me: *to Customer #2* “How are you, today?”

Customer #2: “Fine, dear. Also, I’d like to donate 10 dollars towards [Charity] today.”

Me: “Thank you, Ma’am! And please take this gift as a thank you for your contribution!”

Customer #1: “Hey! Why does she get something for free and I didn’t?”

Me: “Ma’am, she made a donation towards [Charity], and we have free gifts for those who contribute certain dollar amounts. It’s on the signs in front of the register.”

Customer #1: *throws a penny at me* “I donated. Now give me the [ten dollar donation gift]!”

Me: “I am sorry, but that is for customers who contribute $10.00 or more towards [Charity]. I can’t give you this item for a penny contribution, although we do appreciate the donation.”

Customer #1: “Well, I donate several thousands of dollars to [Charity] every year! Give me the free gift!”

Me: “Ma’am, I am sorry, but donations that will earn you this gift must be made at this store. I apologize, but you can’t have this gift without a donation for the requisite dollar amount.”

Customer #1: “Give it to me!”

Me: “I’m sorry, but this item is only for customers who make this certain donation amount. It’s a gift we give as a thanks for the donation towards [Charity].”

Customer #1: “You know what? That’s fine! Jesus will punish you! He will send you to Hell for being so greedy!” *walks away singing ‘Amazing Grace’*


Did you find this story using our Lucky Penny roundup?

Click here to get back to it!

Click here to see the next story!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!