Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Judging A Book Search By Its Cover

| Right | March 1, 2013

(I’m a volunteer at my local library. I see a woman looking at our Young Adult section with a confused look on her face.)

Me: “Excuse me, can I help you find anything?”

Customer: *rudely* “Ugh, yes, finally! Someone is here to help. I’ve been searching for 15 minutes for a book for my daughter. She’s been wanting to read it for ages!”

Me: “Well, if you can just give me the title and the author I can check if we have it in right now or if it’s currently checked out.”

Customer: “Thank god someone’s doing their job around here. It’s [name of book] by [author].”

(Before I even start typing, I realize why she isn’t finding the book, but I’ve barely begun explaining before she cuts me off.)

Me: “Oh, I see what the problem is—”

Customer: “Aren’t you even going to look up the book!? Every time I’ve come here, you people are incompetent! I can’t believe they pay you people any money at all!”

Me: “Well, actually miss, I don’t receive a salary because I’m a volunteer and—”

Customer: “Are you kidding me!? It’s no wonder you’ve been no help!”

Me: “Actually, ma’am, I know where the book you’re looking for is.”

Customer: “What? I can’t believe this! You little brat! What are you trying to do, waste my entire day?”

Me: “No, I’m very sorry to inconvenience you, but I’ve tried to tell you where the book is twice when, both times, you interrupted me.”

Customer: “You little b****! That’s it! I’m leaving and I won’t ever be checking out any more books! Without me, you’ll go out of business! I’ll just go get the f***ing book at [chain bookstore]. We’ll see how you like that, huh!”

(At this point, the customer storms out of the library. Hearing the lady cursing and yelling, the library manager comes out of his office asking what happened. I explain the situation.)

Manager: “Well, where is the book? How did you know where it was without looking it up in the system?”

Me: “I’m the one who checked it out.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!