Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

It’s Going To Be A Bonus Year

, , , , , | Right | January 17, 2013

(It’s New Year’s Eve, and I’m a customer in the supermarket waiting in line for self-checkout. This supermarket has a bonus card, but you have to scan it AFTER you scan all your items. A customer is at the self-check in front of me, buying milk and pretzels. The lines are really long, and the self-check attendant is helping someone else.)

Customer: “Why doesn’t this work?!” *waves her bonus card all over the scanner*

Me: “You have to scan your groceries first, hit ‘Finish’ and ‘Pay’, and then it’ll ask for the bonus card.”

Customer: “It’s not working!” *keeps waving card*

Me: “That’s because you have to scan your groceries first.”

(She scans her items and then starts jabbing the ‘Help Needed’ button immediately.)

Customer: “See, the pretzels are supposed to be only $2, and it’s ringing up $4! This is wrong!”

Me: “You haven’t scanned your bonus card yet. You need to hit ‘Finish’ and ‘Pay’ first, then scan the card, and it’ll take the money off.”

Customer: “Do you even know how to use this?!”

(I lean over and hit “Finish” and “Pay,” and then the kiosk says, “Please scan your bonus card.” She does, and the discount applies.)

Me: “See, $2 for pretzels.”

Kiosk: “Please take your receipt.”

Customer: “Now where’s my receipt? Stupid machine!” *stares in the wrong place*

Me: *points* “Your receipt prints up there.”

(The customer glares at me, grabs her receipt, and storms off to the bagging area, where she stares menacingly at me while she’s bagging her items and putting her change away. To add insult to injury, she puts her purse in the bagging area so I can’t start scanning my items.)

Customer: *finally leaves without saying thanks*

Me: “You’re welcome! Happy New Year to you, too!”


This story is part of the New Year’s Eve roundup!

Read the next New Year’s Eve roundup story!

Read the New Year’s Eve roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!