Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Indiscriminate Discrimi-Nation

, , , , | Right | June 12, 2012

(I work in a call center as a supervisor. I overhear this conversation.)

Representative: “Thank you for holding. This is [Pakistani Name]. How may I help you?”

Customer: “I’m sorry, what is your name?”

Representative: “[Pakistani Name], sir.”

Customer: “Where are you located?”

Representative: “In Chicago, sir.”

Customer: “Are you sure you’re not in India? You sound like you’re Indian.”

(The rep was born and raised in Chicago and is the son of an English father and Pakistani mother. He has no accent whatsoever.)

Representative: “Sir, I am certain we are in Chicago.”

Customer: “I want to talk to an American! I don’t want to talk to someone in India.”

Representative: “Sir, I was born and raised in the US. My parents are English and Pakistani, not Indian.”

Customer: “I want to talk to someone in America!”

Representative: “Sir, again I can assure you: you are talking to an American in America.”

Customer: “I WANT TO TALK TO AN AMERICAN!”

Representative: “Sir, I am an American.”

Customer: “I know you people are in India! I’m complaining to my company that they outsourced us to you!” *hangs up*

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!