Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

In Need Of A Reality Check

| Right | February 1, 2013

(I work retail as a cashier. I’m serving a couple that looks to be between 25 and 30, while behind them is a smiling old man with a cane no younger than 80. All of them are followed by a line that just keeps getting longer. The couple has handed me a check to pay for their goods, and this is a lengthy process. I’m half-way through the transaction when they get impatient.)

Female customer: “Look, I don’t have all day.”

Me: “Sorry ma’am, but this is the process I have to take for all checks. Unfortunately, it takes a while.”

Male customer: *tapping his fingers on the desk* “Can you just hurry up? Geez! Keeping these people waiting!”

(By this point my line is 10 people deep, and I’m beginning to get a bit stressed. The couple is still trying to hurry me along, but I’m going as fast as I can. Finally, I finish and hand them their receipt.)

Male customer: “Finally! That only took all day! Maybe if you weren’t so slow we’d have been out of here by now!”

(Suddenly, the elderly man behind them pipes up.)

Elderly customer: “I didn’t know they still let you pay by check!”

Me: “They do, but unfortunately it’s a lengthy process.”

(The elderly customer continues to speak loudly, within earshot of the couple I just served.)*

Elderly customer: “Hmph! Sounds to me some people just need to get with the 21st Century!”

Young couple: *glares at elderly customer*

Elderly customer: *waves and smiles*

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!