Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

How To Spot A Bad Penny

| Right | December 5, 2012

(I’m teaching a trainee how to operate the cash register.)

Me: “You see, all you have to do is press this button here, then the drawer will open, and the amount to give back will be up on the screen, as well as the receipt.”

Trainee: “Oh! That’s really easy!”

(During this time, a regular customer has been watching us, kind of poking around at the end of the register for awhile. I’m keeping an eye on her, as this customer is notorious for being dramatic.)

Customer: “I’m ready to check out!”

Trainee: “Yes ma’am, how are you today?” *begins checking out her items*

Customer: “Oh, I’m fine. I have some change I’d like to empty from my purse.”

(At this point I’m relatively relieved, as there hasn’t been any issues. However, she proceeds to pull four BAGS of PENNIES from her purse, and plops them on the counter.)

Customer: “It’s legal tender, so start counting!”

Me: “No.”

Customer: “Excuse me?!”

Me: “There is a Coinstar to your left, and a bank right in front of you. The Coinstar charges 8.9 cents per dollar, and I’m pretty sure the bank does it for free. I’ll be happy to suspend your order until you’ve returned.”

(Despite how calm I am, my trainee looks visibly terrified.)

Customer: “Shame on you. What terrible customer service. I will call and have you fired!”

Me: “Ma’am, as I’ve said, I will be happy to suspend your order, but if you continue on yelling, I will have to ask you to leave.”

Customer: “I am the customer! I am always right, so be—”

Me: “QUIET.”

Customer: *goes slack-jawed*

Me:You will not get anyone here fired. You have not only been horrifically rude, but have made an extremely embarrassing spectacle of yourself in front of most of the store. You are holding up this line. Here are your bags of pennies, so please leave.”

(The customer dawdled away from my register, but stayed by the front of the store screaming at everyone who walked in about us not taking her bags of pennies. The manager had to eventually call the police on her. It took a long time to reassure my trainee that not everyone was crazy like that!)


Did you find this story using our Lucky Penny roundup?

Click here to get back to it!

Click here to see the next story!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!