Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Honor Among Thieves

, , | Right | February 19, 2008

Me: “Your total is $87.95.”

Customer: “I have a coupon for [Product]. It was for a dollar off.”

Me: “Okay.” (I wait thirty seconds for her to produce it, but she stares blankly at the total on the screen.)

Customer: “Well, aren’t you going to type that in? It’s for one dollar.”

Me: “Ma’am, I just need to see the coupon so I can scan it.”

Customer: “Well I don’t HAVE it with me… It’s at home. I forgot it, but it’s for [Product] for a dollar.”

Me: “Ma’am, I can’t credit you for that unless you bring the coupon with you. You are welcome to bring it next time. Your total today is $87.95.”

Customer: “So, what, you don’t believe me? Why can’t you just give me a dollar off? That’s what the coupon was for.”

Me: “Ma’am, I believe that you bought the product and that you have the coupon at home, but I am unable to give you the discount without actually physically having the coupon in my till drawer.”

Customer: “Well, that’s just the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. What ever happened to the honor system! It’s rude of you not to believe me!”


This story is part of the Confused-By-Coupons roundup!

Read the next Confused-By-Coupons roundup story!

Read the Confused-By-Coupons roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!