Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

His Hospitality Has Gone South

| Right | June 17, 2015

(I work at the jewelry counter in a large department store. I also carry a set of keys for the locked case of cologne which is adjacent to my counter. I’ve just served two customers at the cologne case, and then stepped back to the jewelry counter where a customer is waiting. The jewelry customer needs the battery in his watch replaced, a simple and quick task. I’ve just removed the back from the watch when an angry customer approaches the counter.)

Angry Customer: “Hey! Can’t I get some help at the cologne cabinet?”

Me: “Certainly, sir. I’ll be over in just one minute.”

Angry Customer: “I haven’t got one minute! I’ve got a bus to catch!”

(I look at the watch I’m working on. We carry the battery, and it truly will take only one minute to change the battery, replace the back, and ring that customer up.)

Angry Customer: “Come on, man! I don’t have time for this! Don’t you people know about Southern hospitality? I’m a customer!”

Me: “Yes, sir. This gentleman I’m waiting on is also a customer, and he was here ahead of you.”

(Angry Customer begins to mutter loudly and in a negative tone about our store and our employees. Other customers are turning their heads to see what the fuss is about. I look over at the gentleman whose watch I’m working on and address him.)

Me: “Sir, this man is apparently in a hurry. Would you mind if I stepped away for a second so I can get him his item and get him out of here.

Watch Customer: “That’s fine. I don’t mind.”

(I rush from behind the counter to the cologne case, fish out my keys, and open the lock.)

Me: *quickly* “Okay, sir, what can I get for you?”

Angry Customer: “Whoa, slow down there.”

Me: “Slow down? You said you were in a rush and couldn’t wait one minute.”

Angry Customer: “Boy, you just don’t know when to shut up, do you?”

Me: “Do you need something from this case?”

(He takes his time deciding between a couple of different bottles. We generally bring the cologne to the jewelry register to be rung up, but since I do not want to deal with him any further, and the item he’s selected is not expensive, I hand him the bottle and lock the case.)

Me: “Have a nice day!”

(I returned to the jewelry counter and quickly finished the gentleman’s watch. Twenty minutes later, I heard a commotion at the front end and looked up to see Angry Customer being escorted out of the store by security. Apparently, after finishing with me he’d yelled at another customer in line ahead of him and insulted the national origin of a cashier. When our store management informed him that he was being barred from our premises, he vowed to call our corporate office and complain about our lack of Southern hospitality.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!