Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Her Manners Are Phone-y

| Right | January 15, 2013

(I work at a very busy supermarket and sometimes we don’t have enough baggers to keep up with all of the registers and help people out to their cars. I have a long line and the customer is talking very loudly on her phone at my register. I don’t have a bagger.)

Me: “Hello! How are you today? Will plastic be alright?”

(The customer continues talking on her phone, completely ignoring me.)

Me: *a little louder* “Ma’am, will plastic be okay with you today?”

(She continues to ignore me. So, I start ringing through her large order and then proceed to bag it all in plastic, which is my usual default in situations like this. After everything is bagged…)

Me: “Okay ma’am, your total comes to $193.55. Do you have any coupons today?”

Customer: *to her phone* “Hold on a second.” *to me* “Didn’t your mama ever tell you that it is rude to talk to people when they’re on the phone?! Honestly! I swear you people don’t have any manners anymore! Oh, and I wanted everything in paper. Double bagged and pack it all light!”

(She then turns back to her phone and continues talking to her friend, complaining how rude I was and how slow I am moving. However, Customer #2, who is behind her in line, is a regular of mine. She winks at me and then speaks up loudly.)

Customer #2: “Honestly! The manners of some people. I mean didn’t her mama ever teach her to get off the phone while in line at the grocery store?” *turns to Customer #1* “And if you have a problem with how she bagged your stuff then you need to answer the sweet young lady when she was talking to you. At least when she finishes putting herself through college she will have the experience to put up with b****** like yourself as she moves to the top of a company.”

(Customer #1 gets completely enraged and starts screaming how she will complain on me and will get me fired. She then grabs her groceries, still mostly in plastic and storms out of the store.)

Customer #2: “If she calls and complains you let me know, darling. I’ll set the story straight. You keep up the good work!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!