Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Hair Unapparent For This Fair Parent

| Right | October 12, 2012

(Note: Customer #1 is a well-known regular in her late twenties who has been coming to our store since before her son could walk. She usually sports funky hair while her son is in elementary school and likes talking to the employees. On this day, Customer #1 seems to be in pain but we’re talking as I scan her items while her son is joking about school with the bagger. Another customer, Customer #2, is waiting impatiently.)

Customer #2: “Will you all stop talking and hurry up?”

Me: “I apologize, ma’am, but this lady has quite a few items. As you can see, we’re both working as well as talking. If you don’t want to wait, you can take your things to the customer service desk where they’ll be happy to help you.”

Bagger: *to Customer #1* “Do you need help out today?”

Customer #1: “Yes, please, and thank you.”

Customer #2: “What the heck?! Why are you being so d*** lazy? Other people need help out. Do it yourself.”

Me: “There are other baggers who will happily come over and help you if you need, ma’am.”

Customer #2: *to Customer #1* “You young people are so d*** lazy these days. You probably stay home and paint your hair all those ridiculous colors. I bet you’ve never even worked a day in your life. What the h*** kind of example are you setting for your kid?”

Customer #1: “Not that it’s really your business, but you’re wrong. I worked for [local city] before my son was born. I worked at a [local gas station] until the fact that I have [chronic illness 1] and [chronic illness 2] meant I was in too much pain. I’m having a very rough day today and wouldn’t have come out if I didn’t have to pick up my medication and food. [Son] isn’t strong enough to help with the heavy things, so I’m accepting the bagger’s offer to do so.”

Customer #2: “Well, I, uh…”

Customer #1’s Son: “You’re a mean lady, and I shouldn’t act like you!”

Customer #1: “…And that’s the example I set for my son. I hope you learned something too!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!