Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Day-Careless

| Right | January 7, 2015

(I run a daycare for folks around my town. On this particular day one of them calls me up saying they’ve run into some financial troubles and won’t be able to pay me this week. After crunching some numbers I decide I can take the hit to my budget and tell them I’ll still look after their child. The next week I add the amount they owe to their total when they come to pay me for my services.)

Mother: “Hey, why is the fee double what it usually is?”

Me: “You weren’t able to pay last week as you said, so I added what you owe to this week’s total.”

Mother: “What I owe? I said I wasn’t able to pay that!”

Me: “Well, now you can.”

Mother: “Uh, no, no that’s wrong. I pay you [total] per week to watch my child and that’s it! If I can’t pay one week that’s just how it goes.”

Me: “Uh… ma’am, if that were the case I wouldn’t be able to stay in business. You wished to make use of my service; I need you to pay for it.”

Mother: “And so I am. The same amount I pay every week and nothing more! I run my own business, too, and I know that if you want to hang onto a customer you should learn to respect when they are having problems and not bleed them dry!”

Me: “Be that as it may, you still owe me for last week.”

Mother: “NO, I DON’T! Now go get my son for me and stop being so rude!”

(After she leaves I take a few hours to cool down and think over what to do about this. Finally I pick up the phone.)

Me: “Hello, it’s [My Name] again. Just wanted to let you know that I thought over what you said and decided that if you aren’t going to pay for me watching your child then don’t bother bringing him to the daycare anymore.”

Mother: “WHAT!? No, you have to look after him! I’ll be terribly inconvenienced if you don’t!”

Me: “Too bad. I have a business to run. too, and I can’t keep it going if the customer expects me to work for free. If you aren’t going to pay what you owe for the services rendered then you’re going to have to find someone else to watch your son.”

Mother: “How dare you! This is going to terrible inconvenience me! Do you know how much the other places charge in this town!? You can’t do this! You can’t—”

(I hung up while she was still screaming. She still turned up the next day demanding I watch her kid, then left when I refused, screaming some more about how unprofessional I was and how I just lost a good customer.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!