Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Archive for 2012

Jump to page:

Try To Keep A Poke Face

| Right | December 30, 2012

(An old man comes up to purchase a pair of shoes. I am nearby while my manager rings it up.)

Manager: “Now, hold onto your receipt, because you can use it anytime to get another pair half price!”

Customer: “Oh, I doubt I’ll get to use it. I’ll probably be dead before I need new shoes again.”

Manager: “Oh, don’t say that! You’ve got to stay positive!”

Customer: “Ah, when you get to be my age, all the ‘positive’ gets used up. First you can’t poke it no more, and then it just goes downhill from there!” *leaves*

December 2012 Top Story Roundup

Right | December 30, 2012

December 2012 Top Story Roundup: Here are Not Always Right’s top-rated stories for the month of December!

  1. Best Not To Exchange With Haters (4,336 thumbs up)
    A bigoted customer finds out that managers won’t exchange good employees for bad customers!
  2. The Gift Card That Keeps Giving (4,063 thumbs up)
    This heartwarming Christmas story shows that gift cards are anything but impersonal.
  3. Mama Puts A Stammer In Your Swagger (3,640 thumbs up)
    A foul-mouthed teenage customer meets his match: his mother!
  4. Working Hard: $100; Holiday Spirit: Priceless (3,613 thumbs up)
    A little old lady comes to the defense of an employee going through holiday hell.
  5. Hail To The Bus Driver (3,493 thumbs up)
    Caught in a snowstorm, off-the-clock bus driver goes above and beyond for a passenger!

PS #1: check out our new Extras section, with pictures, videos, and news!

PS #2: Read more roundups here!

Cart In The Act

| Romantic | December 30, 2012

(My date needs to pick up some groceries before driving home so I tag along with him. I go off to the bathroom, but when I return, I see he’s dancing with a tiny, pull-around shopping cart.)

Me: “Oh, so you’d dance with a cart but not me?!”

My Date: “Well, you were gone and it was here. I shall name it Carty and it’ll be our Carty, forever and ever.”

Me: *fake sniffles*

(After our shopping trip, we have to put ‘Carty’ back.)

My Date: “Okay Carty, your family has to go now. But that’s okay because they’ll take care of you here. Bye bye Carty… we’ll miss you.”

Me: “You still danced with that cart instead of me.”

My Date: “At least I didn’t abandon you at the store.”

Time To Teach Time Travel

, , , , , | Working | December 29, 2012

(I am a substitute teacher. This takes place on Picture Day, where all the kids go with their homeroom teachers to have school pictures taken. After about a quarter of my students have sat for their portraits and are sitting quietly near me while they wait for their classmates to finish, the principal comes into the room.)

Principal: “You need to take the students who are finished back to your classroom. They can’t just loiter in here.”

Me: “But I thought I wasn’t supposed to leave any student unattended.”

Principal: “That’s right.”

Me: “So, I have to walk each student, as they are finished, back to my classroom?”

Principal: “Yes.”

Me: “And, then, return here to escort the next student?”

Principal: “Yes.”

Me: “Okay, I’ll do that.”

(I proceed to escort the six to eight students who are finished back to my classroom. I then return to the cafeteria where portraits are being taken. Just then, the principal walks in, seemingly livid.)

Principal: “What did I tell you about leaving students unattended?”

Me: “I’m confused. I thought I was supposed to escort each student back to my classroom, and then return here for the next student.”

Principal: “Yes! That’s right!”

Me: “But, to do that, the students in the classroom would be left unattended.”

Principal: “Students should never be unattended!”

Me: “Then, should I stay in the classroom and tell students to just return to my room when the portraits are done?”

Principal: “What are you thinking?! Students should never be left unattended in the classroom, in the cafeteria, or in the hallways.”

Me: “Let me see if I am getting this right: I am supposed to be in the cafeteria throughout the time the portraits are being taken so the kids aren’t unattended in the cafeteria. I am also supposed to escort each and every student back to my classroom so they aren’t unattended in the hallways. Once I take a student back to the classroom, I’m supposed to stay there so that they aren’t left unattended in my room. Is that right?”

Principal:Yes! God, why is that so hard to figure out? At this rate, it’ll be a miracle if you don’t flunk out of your master’s program.”

Me: “So, tell me, how am I supposed to be in the cafeteria, in my classroom, and escorting students in the hallway all at the same time?”

Principal: “You are the teacher. That is your job to figure out. Now, get it done!” *storms off*

(I did my best to bend the laws of physics and reality to accomplish his directive, but it didn’t work. I ended up having to leave the students unattended in the cafeteria, where at least the adult photographer and school secretary were present. At the end of the day, I was relieved from my position as a long-term substitute teacher for “Endangering the safety of students by leaving them unattended.”)


Did you find this story using our Teacher roundup?

Click here to read the next story!

Click here to get back to the roundup!

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Bro

, , , , , | Related | December 29, 2012

(I have two grown sons, identical twins, who are both married with kids. They have both come back home for Christmas. Living in the highlands in Scotland, the snow can be quite thick, and we have been snowed in. It is time to open Christmas presents. Both sons have presents for each other in identical-sized boxes.)

Son #1: “Here’s a present for you.”

Son #2: “And here is a present for you!”

Son #1: “How kind!”

Son #2: “And you!”

(They both proceed to open each other’s presents, and they are the exact same thing: a PlayStation console. Even the bundled games are identical.)

Son #1: “Well, brother! You absolutely shouldn’t have!”

(The wives of each of my sons share a knowing look of disdain.)

Me: “What’s the matter?”

Wife #1: “I told my husband that he could not buy himself a games console. It would be a bad influence on the children.”

Wife #2: “I told mine pretty much the same thing.”

Son #1: *chiming in* “But I didn’t buy myself one! My kind brother bought one for me! I can’t be penalised!”

Son #2: “Now, let’s get these bad boys set up. I’ll take the TV upstairs; you take the one in the living room.”

Son #1: “And you have my PlayStation network account name?”

(The wives glare at them.)

Son #2: *noticing* “Why, yes, I do indeed happen to have the PlayStation network account details that you HAVE NOT YET CREATED, because how could you? You had no idea you would be getting a PlayStation today! I trust you also have my NOT YET CREATED network name?”

(Both of my sons and their children were hooked on the games for the rest of the time we were snowed in, a good three days. I just told each of the wives to buy themselves expensive jewellery for each other next Christmas.)


This story is part of the Family-At-Christmas Roundup!

Read the next Family-At-Christmas Roundup story!

Read the Family-At-Christmas Roundup!


This story is part of our Scotland themed roundup!

Read the next Scotland themed roundup story!

Read the Scotland themed roundup!