Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Archive for 2011

Jump to page:

No ID, No Idea, Part 5

, , , , | Right | March 7, 2011

(A teenage customer is trying to buy a cell phone. He has an out-of-state ID that appears fake. It is brought to me to check it.)

Me: “We can’t accept this ID. It’s not valid.”

Customer: “Can you tell me what’s wrong with it compared to a real one, so I’ll know for next time?”

Taxing Faxing, Part 8

, , , | Right | March 7, 2011

Me: “If you can fax me the paperwork by the end of the day, we can deliver it on Friday.”

Customer: “I just have to run out and get some more ink for my printer. Hopefully, I’ll be back by five to send it.”

Me: “Oh, I’m sorry. I thought you said you already had the form filled out. If you still need to print it, it might be a bit difficult to get it to us.”

Customer: “No. I have it filled out. I can’t send a fax without ink!”

Me: “That’s okay. We have ink in our printer, so it will still come through.”

Customer: “You obviously know nothing about technology!”

To Have And To Hang Up

, , , , | Right | March 7, 2011

(I’m speaking on the phone with my husband when a customer approaches me to check out. I don’t like to talk on the phone while with a customer, so I just hang up. My husband understands when this happens. He usually just waits for me to call back.)

Customer: “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to interrupt your call!”

Me: “It’s fine. It was just my husband. I’ll call him back.”

Customer: *gasps* “No! You never hang up on your husband! Oh my gosh! I can’t believe you did that!” *turning to other customers in line* “She hung up on her husband! I can’t believe that!”

Me: “No, really, it’s okay. I’ve done it before. He understands when a customer comes to my register.”

Customer: *shouting* “You’ve done it before! Call him back right now and apologize!”

Me: “I’ll just call him after.”

Customer: “Now!”

(She waits for me to literally dial his number and say ‘I’m sorry for hanging up on you’. She wouldn’t let me finish until I told him I loved him and hung up.)

Customer: “See? That’s how you speak to him on the phone.”

(I finish up with her and she leaves smiling. When I finally call my husband back for real, he can not stop laughing at me.)


This story is part of our Crazy Checkout Encounters roundup!

Read the next Crazy Checkout Encounters roundup story!

Read the Crazy Checkout Encounters roundup!

The Phone Is Suffering From ‘The Situation’

, , , , , | Right | March 7, 2011

Me: “Thank you for calling [Company Name] tech support. How can I help you today?”

Caller: *thick inner-city accent* “Yeah. Phone don’t work. It’s all like ‘WHAAAAAAT’ and needs to be like ‘YAAYUUUUHHH’.”

Me: “What exactly is not working, sir?”

Caller: “My phone.”

Me: “I understand your phone is having issues. What exactly is it doing?”

Caller: *slowly and deliberately* It’s all like ‘WHAAAAAAT’, and needs to be like ‘YAAYUUUUHHH’.

Me: “How about we just exchange the phone?”

Short-Change Deranged

, , , , , | Right | March 7, 2011

(I have just entered a customer’s order coming to $15.50. He hands me a twenty.)

Customer: “Oh, could I get another small popcorn too?”

Me: “Of course, sir.”

(I get the popcorn and add it to the order. It now totals $19.95. I give him 5 cents back. The customer walks away and I finish a few more orders. He comes back angry.)

Customer: “You shortchanged me!”

Me: “Are you sure, sir?”

Customer: “Of course I’m sure, you idiot! You only gave me back a nickel. You took four bucks from me! Give it to me now!”

Me: “I can’t just give you money from the till. In fact, I remember your order. It was $19.95 and you gave me a twenty.”

Customer: “Don’t lie to me! It was fifteen something!”

(My manager overhears.)

Manager: “What’s going on here?”

Customer: “This b*** short changed me four bucks!”

Me: “Sir, you saw the total at $15.50. Then, you asked for a small popcorn. Do you remember that?”

Customer: “Count the cash in the drawer! No, wait. She probably pocketed it! Empty your pockets now!”

(I show him there is nothing in my pockets.)

Customer: “She probably put it in her bra! Take off your clothes! Now!”

Manager: “She’s not taking off any clothes.”

Customer: “Fine! Then just let me put my hand in her bra and get my money out!”