Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Checks Are Out At The Checkout

| Right | July 23, 2013

(I am a cashier at a big grocery store. I have a customer in with her daughter in her mid-teens. The customer writes a check, but because of a store policy, a manager has to override an error that will pop up if the customer does not have at least $700 of checks in the system. My manager is at the check stand right next to me helping a customer, and knows that I need her assistance.)

Customer: “I can’t believe this is happening again! This happened last time!”

Me: “I’m sorry. Our system is just very particular. You must write a certain amount of checks or spend a certain amount of money every month in order for it to not need an ID and a manager override. I know it is a pain, and I’m sorry.”

Customer: “Well this is just f****** ridiculous. I don’t think I’m going to shop here anymore.”

Me: “Again, I’m sorry that we have to do this. My manager will be here in just a second; she just needs to finish helping another customer.”

Customer: “And this is just so stupid because I’ve written checks here before!”

Me: “I understand. Our system is just very picky when it comes to checks and—”

(At this point the customer begins to dramatically flip through her checkbook, and shoves it in my face so I can see all of the entries.)

Customer: “SEE?!”

Me: “Again, I understand, but the system says you only have $300 in the system, and it needs at least $750. I know it is a bit ridiculous, but in the end it is for the company’s and your safety, and there isn’t really anything I can do about it.”

Customer: “I know it’s not your fault, but—”

(To my surprise, the customer’s daughter suddenly speaks up in my defense.)

Customer’s Daughter: “Then why are you being such a b**** to her, mom? You are so embarrassing. Maybe you should use a debit card like normal people. I’ll be in the car waiting.”

(The mother and I both stare in shock while my manager comes over and runs the check through with no further hassle. Sometimes, it’s nice when someone says exactly what you’re thinking, especially when you can’t say it yourself!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!