Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Breaking Through The Hard Shells Of Customer Service

, , , | Right | May 5, 2011

(An older gentleman calls the technical support line. He’s whispering.)

Me: “Thank you for calling [internet service provider]. How may I help you?”

Caller: “There’s an armadillo on my porch.”

Me: “I am sorry sir, did I hear you correctly? You said you have an armadillo on your porch?”

Caller: “Yes, it just keeps staring me down through the patio door.”

Me: “Sir, have you tried calling animal control?”

Caller: “There’s no time for that! I am deathly allergic to armadillos.”

(There is a long pause while I try to figure out what I can possibly say next.)

Me: “Sir, I understand you are frightened. But, you do know this is [internet service provider] you are calling?”

Caller: “Of course! My grandson sent this to me. I downloaded it with your internet!”

Me: “Pardon me?”

Caller: “My grandson mailed this to me with your internet this morning.”

Me: “Sir, I do not mean to offend you. But, I am going to repeat what’s going on, so I can better understand the situation. Your grandson sent you an image this morning in your email of an armadillo. And now that same armadillo is on your porch, staring you down?”

Caller: “Yes! That’s what I’ve been telling you this whole time!”

Me: “Sir, the internet does not work that way. The armadillo on your porch was not placed there by us. You need to call animal control.”

Caller: “I guess getting [internet service provider] to help me was too much to ask for!” *hangs up*

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!